Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to Swap out Main & Recoil Springs

GorillaTactical

Elementary to some, I wasn't 100% sure how to do it without some research...so I decided to post up a video covering how to break down an SP01 enough to swap out the hammer spring and recoil spring...almost everyone knows how to do a recoil spring, but the hammer spring is a little bit more complicated as many know...so this video is just designed to walk an average Joe through the process...ENJOY!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEuBlcRLWlc

Most welcome. Make sure to break in the new springs b4 taking your weapon to a match...mine started off fine with an 11lbs recoil, but once it broke in, the weapon wouldn't reliably cycle so I had to up the lbs.

Thanks for the tip. Would you mind clarifying the problems with the 11lb recoil spring after it broke in? Do you shoot reloads? What spring did you end up with?

My Shadow Target will have a 11lb recoil spring installed with a 14lb spring included.

Thanks for the video!

Most welcome. Make sure to break in the new springs b4 taking your weapon to a match...mine started off fine with an 11lbs recoil, but once it broke in, the weapon wouldn't reliably cycle so I had to up the lbs.

That doesn't sound right.

I run a 8# in my Shadow, zero malfs.

I have run a cut-down 11# in my .40 TS without any true problems - it felt lighter than a 10# (which I have also run), though I didn't gauge it. Though I didn't get malfs from the spring, cycling became erratic, and so I switched to what is now my standard setup (12#).

Thanks for the tip. Would you mind clarifying the problems with the 11lb recoil spring after it broke in? Do you shoot reloads? What spring did you end up with?

My Shadow Target will have a 11lb recoil spring installed with a 14lb spring included.

Note, I run the tactical model....but with an 11# recoil spring, my weapon would not consistently return to battery with factory ammo. (WWB or Fed) it would be fine for normal shooting, but performing double taps caused several failures like the spring couldn't keep up...

If you check out some of my recent shooting vids posted on youtube, you'll see it happening...never happened prior to swapping the spring.

At the end of this video

UPDATE: Running it with a 14# spring now and it is running flawlessly

Edited by GorillaTactical