Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lighter Recoil Spring In .45

southpaw dan

First a comment then a question. My whole understanding on recoil springs has been transformed due to this forum & some fellow competitors. I was stuck in the dark ages( & some gun rags) on this whole heavy/light spring thing. After reading the "FAQ's" I put a 8lb Wolff spring in my 5906( factory is 14lb ). Yikes! What a difference! Granted a 40oz 9mm doesn't exactly punish you, but the sight tracking was dramatically better. My question is, will I see that same kind of difference with my Kimber 5-inch or less so. Judging by most posts a 12lb spring with 200gr major loads seem to be the ticket. Thanks. :D

Daniel

Honestly, I've become not much of a fan of Shok Buffs. I ran one in my .45 for about 15K, then decided to try it without one. Wow! What a difference. Dramatically less muzzle flip and perceived recoil. I realize now that the slide was hitting the Shok Buff at the end of its stroke.

Wow! Sight tracking is 100% better. Even more notciable than with the 9mm. Tried with & without the buff. Really couldn't tell much of a difference. 12lb recoil spr with 19lb main spr was the ticket. Thanks to BE, the moderators & all contributors for the FAQ.

Daniel

I use a 14# with a 17# mainspring. Tried a 12.5# variable, but it felt really harsh so I switched back. 16# gives too much muzzle flip, and 18.5# gives WAY too much.

I like the feel of a buffer, but my gun won't work with 'em.

I screwed around with springs a lot in my SS 45 days. Ended up with a 15 lb mainspring and a 14 lb recoil spring. I liked the feel of the 12.5 lb recoil spring a little better, but reliability went to hell when the gun got dirty. Was using a single Wilson Shok-Buff.

I've been running a 17-pound hammer spring for the vast majority of the 28K through my .45. No problems. As for the recoil spring, I recently switched to a heavy bullet/low velocity load, and dropped recoil spring weight down to 10 pounds. I may post more on this in the future. What can I say? It works for me.