Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thumb rest on standard pistol

I bought a used RHT thumb rest from a friend for my open gun. It works well for me mounted pretty far back. I had to grind some of the corner off in order to be able to remove the slide stop with the scope mount still attached.

I had to grind some of the corner off in order to be able to remove the slide stop with the scope mount still attached.

Something this poster obviously won't have to worry about.

Many people like them. Saul Kirsch & Eric Graueffel swear by them. But most of the GM shooters in the states absolutely hate them. They feel that the added leverage is actually a bad thing, where suddenly you have an outside influence that can directly affect your accuracy, besides the regular "grip issues" that most people struggle with on a daily basis.

Try it and see if you like it, but it may be more trouble than it's worth, with the difficulty of drilling and tapping holes in your frame.

Try on make your own mind.

I've never liked them, wether on standard or open pistols.

Lots of top european standard shooters tried one, and now runs their guns without.

As said, look at Rob Leatham, Travis Tomasie, Taran Butler or Manny Brag, none of them have a thumbrest on their guns....