Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting SA 1911 45 230

johnbh

I ened up buying a SA 1911,I really liked the way the pistol felt. Shooting IDPA

CDP, the more I have read I'm finding out majority people using 9mm, I really don't want to buy a new gun, and there's not many that shoot the 1911's. I'm starting to reload that would help w/ cost.But if I was to get a 9mm what would be a good one to go with.

Thank

john

Hi John,

The number of CDP shooter varies from club to club. At the 2 IDPA clubs I shoot at it seems to be pretty even CDP to ESP. Just looking back at the last match that I attended for both clubs, one club had 101 shooters with 27 shooting CDP and 26 ESP, the other had 47 shooters 11 shooting CDP and 13 ESP. I know quite a few of those ESP shooters were shooting XD's.

If you enjoy shooting your .45, I'd say keep doing it. If you like the 1911 platform but want to shoot 9mm they are available, Springfield, STI, Kimber and S&W.

Hi John, I just switched from shooting a XDm 9 to a SA 1911 45 about 3 months ago and have to say that it is cheaper to shoot 9mm but that's because I prefer Montana Gold bullet's. I was paying $81 for 1K 124gr FMJ 9mm and now I'm paying $175 for 1K 230gr FMJ. There are cheaper 45 bullet's out there and if your local club has a group buy on bullet's then they can be even cheaper then buying direct from the source. When I did the switch I fell in love with shooting a all steel gun and haven't shot my XDm 9. If I decide to go to 9mm again I will be buying a 1911 9mm.

Hi Victor

How are you holding up w/ the switch to 1911 45. I've also thought about going w/ 1911 9mm.

I really like my 1911,it shoots really well very accurate. When I decide to do something I really work at it. How are shooting w/ your 1911? Just in case I do decide I will probaly go w/ 1911 9mm. I do need to shoot my 1911 45, and stop playing games with my head, before I even get started.

Hi Victor

How are you holding up w/ the switch to 1911 45. I've also thought about going w/ 1911 9mm.

I really like my 1911,it shoots really well very accurate. When I decide to do something I really work at it. How are shooting w/ your 1911? Just in case I do decide I will probaly go w/ 1911 9mm. I do need to shoot my 1911 45, and stop playing games with my head, before I even get started.

I'm doing really well with the switch. Last month I shot a IDPA match and won DC out of 24 CDP shooters, came in 2nd overall out of 89 shooters and I'm only a MM so I guess the practicing has been paying off. I know, time to shoot a classifier. Just started shooting USPSA. Shot my 5th match on the 4th and came in 1st in Single Stack. It took me some time to adjust to the different grip and controls but I'm way faster with my draw's using my 1911 then I am with my XDm 9 and I shot my XDm9 for a full year so for me going from a 1.7 draw to a 1.3 with concealment was huge. In those 3 months I practiced hard to get the grip and controls down. The reason I switched was because I wanted to shoot CDP in IDPA. Now all I need is a 1911 in 9mm for ESP and I'll be good to go so I can keep the same platform. Shooting a 1911 in 9mm after shooting a 1911 in 45 is like shooting a .22 IMO.

Here is the video of the last USPSA match I shot. I had just bought a head cam and angled it wrong so sorry for the bad view

also you can check out my channel for other video's if you'd like http://www.youtube.com/user/VR4154#p/u

If bullet cost is a factor, use lead bullets. I'm in my second year of shooting CDP, and have been shooting nothing but lead at outdoor matches. Yes you will have to deal with the smoke, but it not that big of an issue. One big advantage of shooting a .45 is being able to see your hits much more easily than with a 9mm. It gives you a chance to see and make up a bad shot or even worse a FTN.

I ened up buying a SA 1911,I really liked the way the pistol felt. Shooting IDPA

CDP, the more I have read I'm finding out majority people using 9mm, I really don't want to buy a new gun, and there's not many that shoot the 1911's. I'm starting to reload that would help w/ cost.But if I was to get a 9mm what would be a good one to go with.

Thank

john

If you like the 1911 45, shoot it. Why does it matter what others are shooting?