Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Exercise prior to a match

Doodle

Yes, I did a search and didn't find anything specific to this topic. I don't know a lot about fitness, just enough to give myself a decent workout at the gym. I've been really trying to work on my upper body and grip strength. I was wondering if there was a general rule about how long I should stop working out prior to a match or if at all. I know sometimes I can be pretty sore, and I don't want to be miserable or fatigued through a big match. On the other hand, I don't want to cut out any work I can get in prior to help increase my strength. Is there a general rule?

Lindsey

Don't know if it matters for normal exercise routines, but back in the long, long ago, you had to let your "nerves" recover from a workout, in addition to your muscles - I'd be a little jittery, and clumsy for the rest of the day after a workout. I would think 36 hours would be plenty, but it depends on how hard you're working your grip. I think the only way to be sure is to try various intervals.

Edited by Aglifter

Yes, I did a search and didn't find anything specific to this topic. I don't know a lot about fitness, just enough to give myself a decent workout at the gym. I've been really trying to work on my upper body and grip strength. I was wondering if there was a general rule about how long I should stop working out prior to a match or if at all. I know sometimes I can be pretty sore, and I don't want to be miserable or fatigued through a big match. On the other hand, I don't want to cut out any work I can get in prior to help increase my strength. Is there a general rule?

Lindsey

Well, there are at least two guys in the forum who know a lot about physical training. I have been doing Crossfit for two months now, and I am not as sore after the workout. I think you will could stop working out 48 hours prior to a match, but you will have much better chances of doing well if you are in good shape, meaning working out really hard weeks prior to the match to elevate your fitness condition.

Try to contact Jake he is a moderator here.

DVC,

Sandro

Edited by Sandro

I give myself two days off the heavy grip strength stuff leading up to the match. Going into a match with your grip strength shot is a bad feeling. I learned that the hard way.

Ive been using GripPro Trainer randomly throughout the day, when I'm watching TV, in the car, etc (mostly my weak hand). I haven't been working out for very long, so I still get pretty sore. I know once I've been working out more regularly I won't be as sore. I have a sectional match this Saturday and will be attending Area 3 in a month. I more concerned/interested in how much stronger I can get before Area 3. I didn't know if there was a general rule for athletes to lay off the weights for a day or two before a competition or game. Some days I'm sore for a good three or four days.. and no, I don't think I'm working out too hard. I'm just realllly our of shape!

Lindsey

Edited by Doodle

It greatly depends on your current physical and mental tolerances.

I don't use soreness as an excuse to not train (delicate balancing act with not overtraining though...I've been doing this a long time and I know my body very well) therefore being sore at a match doesn't really hamper me because I'm accustomed to working when I least feel like it. I would say your biggest concern should be warming up real good before you shoot.

If the match is really important to you, 48 hours of rest before the match should be plenty. If it isn't, chances are you aren't eating enough or are making poor choices when it comes to food quality. Sleep is also a big issue here.

In short, experiment with it at local matches. You'll find what works best for you.

Age has some to do with it too. my work requires my hands and body most every day. sometimes the work is too many reps to be called exercise. so at 53 I sometimes need more than three days to recover. If I am not productive at my business leading up to a match I get this brain Nag that I don't deserve to be at the match. And my performance suffers more from that Brain Nag than any thing else.

One match I had worked very hard just before the event - including moving bundles of shingles up a ladder to complete a rook project. Its hard work to shoulder a bundle of high def shingles and carry them up a ladder and across a sloped roof.

Any Way

After that hard few days just before the match let my brain relax and I shot my best event ever.

If you don't have a drive to work out , don't do it , If you are having to suppress the urge to work out - work Out-

Its our head that keeps us from performing our best.

ill usually have some kind of non-leg oriented weight workout the day before. if possible i try and do some sprints, jogging and some stretching before shooting at a match because for me it helps get those morning jitters out before actually shooting any stages and helps me relax

It greatly depends on your current physical and mental tolerances.

I don't use soreness as an excuse to not train (delicate balancing act with not overtraining though...I've been doing this a long time and I know my body very well) therefore being sore at a match doesn't really hamper me because I'm accustomed to working when I least feel like it. I would say your biggest concern should be warming up real good before you shoot.

If the match is really important to you, 48 hours of rest before the match should be plenty. If it isn't, chances are you aren't eating enough or are making poor choices when it comes to food quality. Sleep is also a big issue here.

In short, experiment with it at local matches. You'll find what works best for you.

Very well said, it really is something that will vary from person to person. I run every day and lift 5days a week...and lift heavy..to the point when I leave the body part I have trained is shot. For me personally, If it is a match day I will still run, if it's a day that I should be at the gym I will just go in and do abbs. So I don't end up with major muscle fatigue. Like Jake said, it is about knowing your body. Just start trying different things and see how your body reacts and make corrections from there.

I used to be heavily involved in powerlifting. We had this saying. "You can't get any stronger the day before a competition, but you can sure get weaker."

Do not overdo the physical training prior to your pistol match. Proper hydration, nutrition and plenty of rest are your best friends.

Edited by Paul Burtchell

• 1 month later...

I used to powerlift but as I get older too many things hurt so I gave it up. I still weight train and run several times a week. I pretty much lay off the weights the week of a level two or three match because I would hate to pull something and not be able to shoot. I guess call me paranoid.

Edited by ValleySig229