Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Saiga Shotguns - Opinions

teemch5

[sNIP} The new X-Rail systems seem to be running well (though I would only run one on a gas operated gun), and so I would seriously look at one of those before I dropped a lot of $$$ on a Saiga. Don't get me wrong - the Saiga is the better fighting shotgun, but the X-Rail probably makes more sense for 3-gun games.

I'm sorry I'm not familiar with the x-rail. Would it be possable to get some more information or a link on it? My curiosity has gotten me.

• 2 weeks later...
Reload time was about 2 seconds (unpracticed). I'm sure I could knock that down a bit. Not a lot different than slipping a slug back in the mix. I'm actually looking to switch to open just so I can use the Saiga. I was a little worried but never had an issue keeping Slug/Bird separate. I would imagine an MD could come up with a stage specifically to screw the gun over. But I doubt I'd wanna go back to that match anyway.

Chuck (or anyone),

How did you carry spare mags? Robert has my S12 now for conversion but I've been trying to figure out the best way to hold spare mags. I'd rather not spend a lot of time and money experimenting. Thanks!

Cheap and easy. ACE hardware sells 12" pieces of brass, 1/2" by 1/8". Roll the ends over, fold it in half, then tape it to the side of the magazine so the bend is at the bottom, clip up. Works like a big pocket knife clip, deep enough to go in your pocket and not bounce out. If you are really bored, you can color code the magazines by using different color electrical tape :)

Alex

I bought Blade Tech mag pouches for the Saiga. I carried two on a thigh mount and one in the small of my back. Seemed to work OK, but nothing awesome. Robbie makes kydex clips for the mags that were cheap and seemed to work just as well, I just didn't have enough pockets to clip enough mags on for the Ironman.

The Xrail is neat. I saw two at my last three gun match. But unfortunately for the guys running it it was a USPSA match and they were only allowed to load to 11 rounds at the start. Which still gave me an edge with my Saiga. I do like the Xrail there is a video of one being used by a fellow shooter at the match.

th_MOrtyShotgunXrail.jpg

Him and another guy bought one to beat me with my Saiga after the last three gun. Saigas are brand new to Alaska three gun and I am the first to use one.

In my newb opinion I think the Xrail would be awsome for out law matches where you can load to capacity. The only down side I see to them compared to a Saiga is on stages with more than 22 rounds. They have to load the gun like normal after that. An advantage to the Xrail would be slug loads would be a lot easier.

Pat

Here is a few of my videos at this match. Small match but I got first in open (using a limited pistol) and 1st overall. which felt great.

Slug stage