Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI TruBor

shooter995

STI TruBor in .38 Super/Super Comp. Does anyone use this particular model in open?? If so give me some feed back! Thanks in advance for the info!

If you do a search on Trubor, and limit it to the Open section in the advanced search, you'll get 8 pages of results. Lots of folks are using a Trubor in one form or another. Many people buy them and then upgrade/modify them as they sort out what they like. If you get one, I think it makes a lot of sense to get one with a reliability package done on it (Dawson Supertuned, Brazos High Performance, etc). That is more likely to get you a gun that runs reliably. The problem there is that it pushes the purchase price close to what you would pay to get a custom gun. Last I knew the Dawson package was around $2900 and you can get a Bedell Open gun for $3500. For $600 (in this case) you're getting a LOT more gun for your money. There are other custom smiths that can build an Open gun in that price range as well. The wait will be longer, but not always too long (some in the 2 month range). R,

STI TruBor in .38 Super/Super Comp. Does anyone use this particular model in open?? If so give me some feed back! Thanks in advance for the info!

If you do a search on Trubor, and limit it to the Open section in the advanced search, you'll get 8 pages of results. Lots of folks are using a Trubor in one form or another. Many people buy them and then upgrade/modify them as they sort out what they like. If you get one, I think it makes a lot of sense to get one with a reliability package done on it (Dawson Supertuned, Brazos High Performance, etc). That is more likely to get you a gun that runs reliably. The problem there is that it pushes the purchase price close to what you would pay to get a custom gun. Last I knew the Dawson package was around $2900 and you can get a Bedell Open gun for $3500. For $600 (in this case) you're getting a LOT more gun for your money. There are other custom smiths that can build an Open gun in that price range as well. The wait will be longer, but not always too long (some in the 2 month range). R,

Bart is absolutely right about all of this. Your best bet (to buy one that is) is to find a USED one that has already had all of that done. You can find them used for a great deal cheaper than new, if you have the patience and diligence in the search. And, even if you can't find one with the Dawson package, if you can find one say, $1,000 cheaper than new, and it's in good shape with not many rounds down the pipe, then the Dawson package on it is not that bad in relation. I got mine used, with 500 rounds through it, for $1,900, but since then, I've seen them cheaper and also seen more gun for the same price (as in several Brazos customs, etc.). Hope that this is what you were asking about.

Thanks guys for the info. I ended up buying a new TruBor from Dawson with the upgrade package & I got a pretty good deal (since I bought everything I needed to shoot open!) I was just putting a feeler out there to see if people liked the gun? Any problems with it?? Hows it holding up?? Also what loads are you using to make major?? Any & all help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys for the info. I ended up buying a new TruBor from Dawson with the upgrade package & I got a pretty good deal (since I bought everything I needed to shoot open!) I was just putting a feeler out there to see if people liked the gun? Any problems with it?? Hows it holding up?? Also what loads are you using to make major?? Any & all help is greatly appreciated!

I bought one from Dawson two and a half years ago, with four "tuned" mags.

The 170 (big stick) never worked despite being returned twice. The three

140's held 20 rounds each - everything I've read since tells me they are

supposed to hold 23 - 24 rounds, if they're "tuned".

After one year of trying everything to determine why I had occasional

stove pipes, I realized it was with one of the three tuned mags. Stopped

using it, and the problem went away.

A year later, bought another TruBor from Brazos, and by that time I had

solved the mag problems, and it runs like a champ.

I got conflicting advice on the slide lightening - EGW lightened my one

TruBor, by drilling holes in the slide; but Brazos refused to lighten it, since it had been "lightened"

at the factory. I like the way it shoots better with the further lightening - less muzzle

rise.

I use HS6 powder (8.7 grains in 9mm major) behind a 115 gr MG HP at 1.175".

Very accurate, and a pleasure to shoot - but I've been reading about 124-5 grain

bullets being softer - haven't tried them yet.

It's accurate and reliable - love to shoot it. Not sure what I would

have gotten if I had a gunsmith take 6 months or more to build one - but

I don't think I miss it, whatever it is:))

Good luck with yours. (Get some mags tuned by someone reputable).

Jack

I bought one from Dawson two and a half years ago, with four "tuned" mags.

The 170 (big stick) never worked despite being returned twice. The three

140's held 20 rounds each - everything I've read since tells me they are

supposed to hold 23 - 24 rounds, if they're "tuned".

After one year of trying everything to determine why I had occasional

stove pipes, I realized it was with one of the three tuned mags. Stopped

using it, and the problem went away.

A year later, bought another TruBor from Brazos, and by that time I had

solved the mag problems, and it runs like a champ.

I got conflicting advice on the slide lightening - EGW lightened my one

TruBor, by drilling holes in the slide; but Brazos refused to lighten it, since it had been "lightened"

at the factory. I like the way it shoots better with the further lightening - less muzzle

rise.

I use HS6 powder (8.7 grains in 9mm major) behind a 115 gr MG HP at 1.175".

Very accurate, and a pleasure to shoot - but I've been reading about 124-5 grain

bullets being softer - haven't tried them yet.

It's accurate and reliable - love to shoot it. Not sure what I would

have gotten if I had a gunsmith take 6 months or more to build one - but

I don't think I miss it, whatever it is:))

Good luck with yours. (Get some mags tuned by someone reputable).

Jack

Your mag problem is kinda strange. I'm using stock mags I bought from Midway (I think I bought them from Midway, could've been someplace else) which I've never had tuned, and I've never had any issues from them. One Big Stick and 2 - 140's, I think my 140's hold 22 as they are.

Edit to add: I just looked my mags up from the online reciept, said I bought them from Brownells.

Edited by GrumpyOne

Your mag problem is kinda strange. I'm using stock mags I bought from Midway (I think I bought them from Midway, could've been someplace else) which I've never had tuned, and I've never had any issues from them. One Big Stick and 2 - 140's, I think my 140's hold 22 as they are.

Edit to add: I just looked my mags up from the online reciept, said I bought them from Brownells.

I'm glad to hear that my negative experience is unusual = hope it is. But I had two bad mags out

of four from Dawsons, and they were "tuned". And, they caused all sorts of problems for me finding

out if my problem was an Aftec extractor or the empty cases hitting the C-More, etc etc etc.

Once I stopped using that mag, no more problems.

Jack

• 2 weeks later...

I'm glad to hear that my negative experience is unusual = hope it is. But I had two bad mags out

of four from Dawsons, and they were "tuned". And, they caused all sorts of problems for me finding

out if my problem was an Aftec extractor or the empty cases hitting the C-More, etc etc etc.

Once I stopped using that mag, no more problems.

Jack

if you have mag problems... like me... its probably the tube. i bought a factory new 140mm sti mag and the tube is bent so the follower gets stuck one rnd from empty and jams..

Edited by TRUbor9

if you have mag problems... like me... its probably the tube. i bought a factory new 140mm sti mag and the tube is bent so the follower gets stuck one rnd from empty and jams..

The 170 mm mag that Dawson tuned, the first time I loaded it,

all the cartridges fell into the magazine arould round 15 or so.

I returned it with a note about the problem twice, and the third

time I told them to keep it. The same identical problem all

three times.

I've heard? that if the last round is not stripping off the

mag, that you need to file down the follower - may not be

the mag being bent, if it feeds all the other rounds - but

may just need to file the follower to make the last round

strip off perfectly?

Jack

The 170 mm mag that Dawson tuned, the first time I loaded it,

all the cartridges fell into the magazine arould round 15 or so.

I returned it with a note about the problem twice, and the third

time I told them to keep it. The same identical problem all

three times.

I've heard? that if the last round is not stripping off the

mag, that you need to file down the follower - may not be

the mag being bent, if it feeds all the other rounds - but

may just need to file the follower to make the last round

strip off perfectly?

Jack

Well i tried the follower from my mag that does work, the one that came in the gun, and it gets stuck too. but you'd think for the price we pay for those they should work... and try the tuned mag from shoots connection, thats my big stick and i love it!

Edited by TRUbor9