Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First CZ questions

mike4045

I got my first CZ SP01 in a couple of days ago. It is a pretty decent pistol. The double/single trigger pull is pretty sweet, and the sights are very easy to see. I plan to run it pretty hard tomorrow after work and possibly in a couple of matches this weekend.

What is a good source for mags? I have been told Mecgar makes the mags for them. Go with regular 15 or 16 rd mags for a CZ75, or go to the 19 rds that came with the gun. It really seems to need short loaded ammo when using hollowpoints. My glock ammo will not chamber. Is this normal or a short chambered gun?

The pin that appears to hold the trigger in place keeps sliding out. How can this be fixed? Peen it in place or loctite? It does look like it rotates when pulling trigger, so I don't think loctite is a good idea. How hard is it to replace if it falls out?

In production do you drop the hammer all the way or to the half cock? I have not tried a production gun with a hammer and no decocker. Do you start with the safety on?

Thanks for any info.

the sp01 is a very nice pistol, you will enjoy it. if you want to make that trigger even nicer install the comp hammer and 13lb main spring available from cz custom.

mecgar do make the cz mags so either macgar or cz mags will work just fine, czusa have a special on 3 mags. i'd stick with the 18rd ones.

i've heard cz's seem to be short chambered, but it's the only 9mm i load for so have nothing to compare it too.

the trigger pin should be staked at both ends, so peen it and it should be fine.

production rules state hammer must be fully decocked. make sure you get a good grip on that hammer, if it slips and goes bang, you go home. once decocked the safety will not go on. but the advantage is, should you want to, you can run it cocked and locked.

I peened it in place. Looks like it's holding. I plan to put it thru a pretty hard practice to see how it runs.

Thanks for the info on mags. I was able to borrow some to try the gun and see if I can get used to it.

The safety will engage in decocked position.

Mike

I got my first CZ SP01 in a couple of days ago. It is a pretty decent pistol. The double/single trigger pull is pretty sweet, and the sights are very easy to see. I plan to run it pretty hard tomorrow after work and possibly in a couple of matches this weekend.

A very good place to start is :

http://www.czforumsite.info/index.php?topic=14688.0

Everything you need about CZs is there.

mike, check the saftey works correctly with it cocked, give the trigger a hard pull and make sure it's good.

is the gun new or used, has someone changed the hammer. if you take off too much from the sear/safety when fitting the comp hammer you risk too much sear movement and the safety wont stop the hammer falling.

From my understanding the gun has been to Angus. The safety does hold when trying to pull trigger.

A range session today with it. It ran well on factory ammo, but choked a couple of times on some 122 gr lead bullets. The gun seems to be very accurate. Getting used to the double action will take some getting used to. Can't wait to shoot it in a match.

There's another thread on the CZ chambers being a little tight. My barrel is off at the gunsmith being checked. I'll let you know what he finds. I'm surprised that isn't something Angus checks as part of his custom build.

The safety should not be able to engage in the decocked position. I'm not sure if the Firing pin block is removed if that is the case, but if the FPB is intact, the safety will only engage when it is fully cocked. It won't engage on the half cock either.

For the trigger pin, I had the SAME exact problem, right out of the box. Annoyed the crap out of me. I tried peening the end that was coming loose. no luck, eventually it works itself out again. I bought the New Improved Trigger pin from CZCustom. Trigger Pin

Replacing it is fairly easy. You just use a punch to punch the old one out. Leave the punch in! Then work the new one in following the punch out. If you do it correctly, it will slide in, and you don't have to replace any springs that fly out!

I did this several months ago, it has not budged one milimeter since I put it in. If your current pin is working its way out, I highly recommend this cheap easy fix.

By the way, from the picture it looks like you have to peen one of the ends....you don't. Once you insert the pin, it's a tight enough fit that you just leave it as is. The other end is not meant to be peened.

Edited by CZinSC

I got it out and shot a match with it. I found more problems. Mags not falling free, and no primer dents on some rounds. It is accurate enough, but needs some adjustable sights. I wish it had some big sights like my Dawson's.

Once I started to get a good feel for the gun, things went alot smoother.

I saw some pssible fixes for the problems. I will wait to mess with it for now. Will be getting ready for Tx Limited, then back to production.