Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hi-Cap Caspian frame

Reinholt

I have the opportunity to purchase a new Hi-Cap Caspian frame that was made back in the mid 90's. Has anything changed with their design or quality since then? Are mags the same (9mm or 38 Super)?

Reinholt,

First question is the trigger guard round or square, then look inside the magwell and see if there is a rib that runs down the inside of the front strap.

If there is a rib on the inside it would be a first gen and you would need to make sure that it was rewelded at the rear of the trigger guard at the trigger bow. The first gens cracked there. Caspian at the time either repaired ir replced those frames.

Other than that all other quality is the same. There are mags that are still the same design as the original and Caspian now has mags based on the Tanfoglio design with base pads that are easier to remove.

If you need 170mm mags contact Jim Anglin (Sailors Pistols) her on Enos.

Alan

Alan

It is round and yes it is a Gen 1 with original mags. I thought it was too good to be true. I guess I bite the bullet and start building with all new or at least lightly use.

Thanks for the help.

Reinholdt,

Outside of the cracking there was nothing wrong with the first gen frames. I think Jim Anglin actually prefers the 1st gen to the second.

The weld job that Caspian had done to build up that area that was prone to cracking was a first rate job and I have not heard of any of the welded frames cracking.

Alan

My first generation Caspian framed open gun has over 50k rounds through it. This 1992-1993 frame has been lightened, cut, checkered insert added, and the frame was cut and a magazine well was welded on and the frame is about 1/2 an inch longer than stock. I have no clue if the frame in the crack area was modified but I don't think so. Not a single problem with the frame. I like the older magazines better than the new ones. If the price is right I'd go for it. I would call Caspian and I'll bet Gary would weld the frame for free, if needed. I know of 5 other open guns on first generation frames and none have cracked, along with mine all built by the same gunsmith, Otto Matyska, here in St. Louis.

If I was building another open gun it would be on a Caspian Frame.

Marty

A-7424

Edited by martyg00

:rolleyes:

Yep I like the round trigger guard frames =both my limited guns are older round trigger guards.

Once caspian arms repairs them they are good as can be.The limited gun I use most of the time

is real old and works like a charm.

My open gun is the newer frame only cause I won the frame.

I build a lot of STI stuff but I think Caspian is superior equipment.

Jim /Pa

Sailors :devil::goof:

I just purchased 3 1st generation frames from Caspian a couple weeks ago. If you are planning on getting them from Caspian I say do it. The price is right. Mine all had minor surface rust on the frames when I received them. All 3 cleaned up nicely with a trip through the bead blast cabinet. One of them has some minor pitting on the frame rail area, but nothing that makes it unusable. Most of the pitting will probably be gone after fitting the slide. I requested ramp cuts and checkering. I got all 3 frames with checkering and one with a W/N ramp cut. One frame was drilled and tapped for a scope mount. I'll try to get some pictures up tomorrow.

I just purchased 3 1st generation frames from Caspian a couple weeks ago. If you are planning on getting them from Caspian I say do it. The price is right. Mine all had minor surface rust on the frames when I received them. All 3 cleaned up nicely with a trip through the bead blast cabinet. One of them has some minor pitting on the frame rail area, but nothing that makes it unusable. Most of the pitting will probably be gone after fitting the slide. I requested ramp cuts and checkering. I got all 3 frames with checkering and one with a W/N ramp cut. One frame was drilled and tapped for a scope mount. I'll try to get some pictures up tomorrow.

I look forward to the pic's. If you don't mind could you PM me with the ball park price you paid?

If I go straigh through Caspian, then at least I know the frames history.