Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

So i waited many years to post this. Don't wish to ruffle feathers, but here goes.

Came back from day of plinking back in 1985. I live in a big town of 400k+ people. Lived in a quaint neighborhood of old Italians. IAC, pulled into my own driveway way parked. Opened the trunk of my 320i to retrieve my Valmet m71-s. City cop happened to be driving by. Next thing i know I have some cheap s&w model 69 pointed at me like I'm some felon.

Now, I have to tell you i do not like looking down the bore of a weapon. The war had been over for 10 years and looking down a bore was not pleasant. Ended up on my knees explaining to this cop it was my property and that I was returning from a day of shooting. This was way before our states assault weapons ban. 3 cop cars later, and a lot of heated discussion, I'm ok to go into my own house.

25 years later, I still find myself bitter with some hatred toward LEO's. All because of that incident-on my own property. I'll put my flame suit on for my buddies who wear the badge, but I find it difficult to forget this incident. I will never forget it. It definitely did not help my relations with those that are sworn.

Edited by outerlimits

We have taken that route here too. Where I live was nothing but dunes and creosote bushes surrounded by mountains and an occasional golf course or polo feild.

Otherwise it was dunes and dates, and and or citrus. We walked alot of places with our .22s, air rifles, and shotguns. Local deputies knew us by name, and this is the late 70s, early to mid 80s in California of all places.

To put this in perspective, last year I was waiting outside our shop for a ride. While looking into the planters out near the road, I found a Crossman air pistol. I was standing there checking it out, when a CHP drives by. He flips a u turn, and parks his car a reasonable distance and gives me commands to drop the pistol, move away from it, and get on my knees, hands laced behind my head.

I tell him the story (from in handcuffs) and my boss shows up to pick me up. He talks with the cops a bit, the cop says he's sorry, that someone in the area had been holding up gas stations and foodmarts with a pellet pistol. The guys, one of which fits my description, was beleived to hang around the area. They eventually caught them too.

Soo.....

...it depends on the circumstances. The cop that cuffed me was actually doing his job. The ones that didn't when we were kids, they were too. It just depends on the circumstances.

The only cops I can stand are the ones I've known since I was little, or grew up with as kids. The others, well I was a sneaky type of kid and juvenile. I can't say that for much of my juvenile and early 20s, even in the military, I was on the right side of the law. I may walk the straight and narrow now. It's just that I haven't out grown that mistrust of my youth really.

Maybe someday.

JZ

Just know that when we approach someone and a gun is in-hand, we have to make the scene safe and then figure out what the hell is going on. It's nothing personal, I just don't like getting shot. I don't know you, I don't know what your intentions are, I don't know if this is your driveway or the person you're about to go whack. We rarely see guns, so when we do it's usually not good. Shooters like ones on this board are the .05% of the world... they just aren't run across that often.

Also: Move out of Kalifornia. Lots of us down in the real world know that guns are OK.

With all the gang bangers running around in (faux) coppie cars, (faux) SWAT gear, doing "pull over and rape" games and home invasions whilst all geared up, the attitude toward cops having their way "in the name of officer safety" doesn't fly well anymore.

Nor does instant Officer Arrogant as soon as The Public dares to be seen with a gun.

Alex

Shooters like ones on this board are the .05% of the world... they just aren't run across that often.

I don't have an opinion in the topic at hand but I do agree with this statement!