Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New to forum...new to reloading

Dano111

Hey all,

I've decided to start reloading. I shoot a Springfield XDM in 9mm.

I would like input on the following:

From what I have read thus far it sounds like a heavier bullet is much easier to shoot with less recoil and works well for IDPA. true??

I've looked at turret and progressive presses and would like your thoughts on what is best for a newbie? I shoot on average about 600-800 rounds a month

what else do you recommend buying besides the press kit, scale, brass cleaner??

best priced bullets that you have found?

what is a good recipe you have found for 9mm using a 147 bullet?? What is the deal with plated bullets?? should a newbie stay away from them?

anything else need to be done to brass picked up at the range besides inspection and cleaning?

anything else you can recommend would be greatly appreciated!!

Dano

The heavier bullet will have less felt recoil than a lighter bullet.

If you are only going to load pistol, I would suggest a Dillon Square Deal, comes set from the factory with dies for the caliber of your choice. It's fully progressive, easy to use. Only problem with the SDB is that it uses different dies than any other press, so if you change calibers, you'll have to buy Dillon dies, and it only loads pistol. I load on a 550 because it uses standard dies and it's pretty easy to change calibers (takes me less than 5 minutes if I don't have to change the primer system). I can load over 400 an hour with the 550, with no bullet feeder or case feeder.

You'll need a good reloading manual, calipers (micrometer), powder, primers (good luck on that one!), brass, tumbling media (corn corb or crushed walnut shells which you can buy at pet smart, look at lizard bedding), and a chronograph. I would also suggest a bullet puller, cause you are gonna make mistakes. I use the kinetic kind, looks like a hammer.

Montana Gold is the best priced bullets I have found, if you order in bulk. Of course, if you are gonna shoot plain lead, they will be cheaper, but jacketed will keep your gun cleaner, you won't have any smoke when you shoot, etc. MG is brass jacketed, good stuff.

I don't shoot 9mm, so I'm no help there. Lots of recipes here on the forum for 9mm though.

IMO, jacketed is the way to go. Most everyone is using just lead or jacketed now, as the price of jacketed and plated are very close anymore, and jacketed seems to work better for most people.

As far as brass, inspect and clean it, load it, and shoot it. If all you are planning on is 9mm minor, the inspecting should go very quick.

Hope this helps...

Edited by GrumpyOne

Grumpy or not , his adivce is good. I shot a bunch of plated bullets in the early 90s when they were a new thing. Not so much smoke like with plain lead = its the lubricants that is part of the smoke with lead.

Yes now I load just jacketed bullets from Zero or Montana gold , or rifle from Sierra

The problem with plated bullets is that they are Very sisitive to over crimp. = put a ring on the bullet and it may change a 25y group by up to 24" . That was 1991 and they are better But that is what I had with a hard crimp to light crimp .

If you spend just a bit more on a Dillion 550 you will have something that will last you many diffrent guns and loads.

Buy smart, allmost allways has to spend a bit more. But it will hold its value. So will the square deal but the 550 will be more fun to load on.

I never had a Square deal but it did have a Lee 1000 it was fine but it was like a plastic Bat over a Wood Bat

What are you planning on using your gun for?

The Dillon Square Deal is what I use, and I

can load 200 rounds an hour with it. If you

have 4 hours a month, that's all you need for

pistol - if you reload for rifle, it won't work.

I'm using 3.7 gr WW231 with my MG 147's at 1.13"

but I'm trying to use up some 15 year old WW231:))

and then I'll probably switch over to one of

the newer better powders - you'll read about

them on this forum.

I use range brass, and have little trouble if I

separate out the military and the S & B's.

Good luck.

Hey all,

I've decided to start reloading. I shoot a Springfield XDM in 9mm.

I would like input on the following:

From what I have read thus far it sounds like a heavier bullet is much easier to shoot with less recoil and works well for IDPA. true??

Yes and no. I would not call it less recoil, I would call it different which gets interpretted as softer. You would have to shoot them both to see. I would order some of each and experiment. I have shot 124 and 147 and keep gravitating back to 124's.

I've looked at turret and progressive presses and would like your thoughts on what is best for a newbie? I shoot on average about 600-800 rounds a month

I use a 550 and like it alot. I loaded 1400 over two evenings this past week. It is plenty of press and will load almost anything with standard dies

what else do you recommend buying besides the press kit, scale, brass cleaner?? I recommend you email Brian Enos or call him. He will answer those questions for you. And he will sell you what you need.

best priced bullets that you have found? Jacketed- Montana Gold. Also Zero brand from shooters connection.com Moly- Black bullets international or precision plus tons of others

what is a good recipe you have found for 9mm using a 147 bullet?? What is the deal with plated bullets?? should a newbie stay away from them? Seems like plated bullets' heydays are over. Most shoot jacketed, moly or lead depending on the gun and application.

anything else need to be done to brass picked up at the range besides inspection and cleaning? Yes- Loaded!

anything else you can recommend would be greatly appreciated!! I have to throw this obligatory statement in here somewhere, so here goes. Search function is your friend. :)

And one more thing, welcome to the forums!

Dano

Edited by Sarge

What are you planning on using your gun for?

The Dillon Square Deal is what I use, and I

can load 200 rounds an hour with it. If you

have 4 hours a month, that's all you need for

pistol - if you reload for rifle, it won't work.

I'm using 3.7 gr WW231 with my MG 147's at 1.13"

but I'm trying to use up some 15 year old WW231:))

and then I'll probably switch over to one of

the newer better powders - you'll read about

them on this forum.

I use range brass, and have little trouble if I

separate out the military and the S & B's.

Good luck.

I will be using this gun and load for IDPA and an occasional steel match.

I would like to have one load that works well for those and try not to change it much.

I went ahead and ordered a Dillon Square Deal today so am looking forward to that.

and yes, the search function is great!! now that i've learned how to use it better.....

Dano