Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Helping New Shooters, does it help them?

Glock NZ

Hi All

Been watching for awhile but this is my first post. Hopefully this is the correct place.

When new members join our club (IPSC) we leave them alone to just enjoy shooting the sport for a while, then start offering them advise on how they might improve their shooting.

This might be about actual marksmanship, rules or etiquet or reloading.

The problem is that I see people come along and constantly come amongst the bottom 25% of the club shoots.

Their guns dont work, their gear is hindering them and the barn door is completley safe :blink:

When I was in that position I would want advise/mentoring.

Some are greatfull for advise its the other (majority) that dont listen, continue to do badly and be obviously upset about doing badly.

Or they say "AT you've been shooting for 30 years what bullet load/combination should I use in my XYZ gun" the ABC load I reply, "Oh but I read a book that said DEF load was the best" or on the IPSC forum "Someone" said this was better" Do you walk away and leave them to continue to make bad decisions and spend $$ unwisely? quietly watching them wander off in strange directions.

Or they want to debate IPSC rules based on being in the sport for 6 weeks & debate a rue that dosent exist :surprise:

I think you get the drift.

Previously I would have said well thats their problem, but as I am now one of the "Old fat guys" help or stay out?

Any advise greatly appreciated.

Aaron T

You can only help the ones that WANT help. You seem to be in tune with being able to tell which ones do and which ones do not want the help. Just concentrate your time on the ones that do.

Randy

I always ask if they would like any help. I've also seen a few of the ones that don't flounder and never improve. It usually doesn't take long to figure out the "receptive" ones. I personally wasted my first year of this game not seeking help and developing bad habits. Thank God for this forum and the fine people I've met and have learned from. cheers.gif

One trick that seems to work is "Do you Want some pointers or help"? And I tell them that every one wants to help and it is very hard to stay quiet , when we 'think' we can help , most of the times waiting for them / you to ask is hard.

An Announcement in the pre match meet is a good idea too , "Evey one that does good at any thing - gets help" Its OK to ask four help and guidance , But not just before the guy is about to shoot the stage.

One Hint I drop to the guy that should ask for help, is to point out a few of the people that have helped me. That lets them know its OK

As the USPSA match director for my club, I try to assure that new shooters are on squads with the more experienced "teachers' at the match. The idea is to make the new shooter comfortable with asking for help without pushing too much on them (stick with safety and basic skills). If we do it right, that shooter is hooked for life and ready to learn and improve. :goof:

However, if they don't care to listen or learn.....we keep them safe, but otherwise leave them alone.

Some take a bit longer to understand that there is help if it is desired, some will just never listen to

anything but the voices in their heads. :surprise:

Edited by matt2ace

Welcome to the forum from way down in New Zealand, WOW! :cheers: I have found that most new shooters can get overloaded with too much information, so as the others have stated just teach the basic safety and have them take their time and get their hits, if there is one thing that I stress to new shooters is GET YOUR HITS, speed will come with time. Most of the time I can tell which shooters are going to stick with the sport and which ones have too big of an ego to continue.

I now play on the 3 gun side,

More guns more problems.

Just that fact that a person shows up to a match is a big deal.

A lot of Ego issues, to work around. You get to do well or mess up in front of your pears.

At some point we all hope that new shooter will, get rid of that chrome Jennings 9mm, the ex-seal at the gun show sold him… but they need time to get up to speed…

Some of them will take up another sport.

I have seen the folks that have stayed with it, get their gear in order, and keep at it.

In our group, of some very good 3 gunners, and all around shooters, I don’t have to ask for a good Critique, I will get it anyway; I used to have to ask for it, seriously. Being able to take a good Critique digest it and fix yourself, can be a bitter meal but not always,,

Is a bigger bite than many folks WILL take.

EGO earn it, or not we all have one.

Jim M ammo

I always ask if they would like any help. It usually doesn't take long to figure out the "receptive" ones.

From a habitual shooter that is pretty new to competition, I think this is a good approach to helping us new guys. I'm sure all of you see varying degrees of "I suck and don't know it" from new competitors. I try to be very receptive to advise from more experienced shooters. However, when I come off a stage I am trying to burn that run into my memory and remember everything I saw. I might seem non-receptive then. Let me wind down and re-set/paste targets once or twice before engaging me. It'll make all the difference.

One Hint I drop to the guy that should ask for help, is to point out a few of the people that have helped me. That lets them know its OK

I like this idea too. Sometimes it's hard to approach the more skilled shooters. Especially if you don't already know them.

Welcome tot he forums, I have een atthis sport for 21 yrs now, and haveseen my fair share of people come and go, from your ' i read about this in a magazine or saw it online' types, and the funnything is, they never really last, dont know if its intimidation of the sport??? the fact that to get 'good' at this aport, you have to pick up the gun at least one more time than the last match and do somthing with it(practice) and most if not all newbies ive come across lately are tunnel visioned into they have to be knee deep in brass to get anywhere, and think ive one too many screws loose when i point out dry fire is just as effective and doesnt cost a dime, or they want that 'magic' phrase from me that will increase their learning curve and getthem to Master class in a week and a half....its now more an more a plug an play society, they want results NOW!!!! not wanting to learn

short answer, ifthey want to or seem to want to learn, i help them, if they are luggin around a chip on their shoulder an you can smell the testosterone from 10 feet away, and give any advise the gruff brush off??? hey let em wallow(safely)

as you can tell, i like to teach people who are willing to learn, and take their ego's and put em in their back pockets, least till the lesson is over

I being new to this sport as well this is my 2nd year shooting. Go to the matches with a good guy who puts up with a lot of questions through the day and text messages on rules. Thanks Roy Hess :cheers:

I have talked to some of the more experienced shooters during the matches. I do find it intimidating to talk with them though. It always seems they are going over the next course of fire. I don't want to be the guy that ruins that course for them.

If someone is offering advice I always try to listen and try to listen when some else is getting advice.

Edited by ahudson

Hi Guys

Thanks for your input. :cheers:

Seems like I am on the right track.

Make it known that help is available, make it easy for them to approach you but if they dont, leave them to it. As long as they are shooting badly but safely ;)

Cheers

Aaron T