Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Holster decision to make

TimWarner

I shoot a G22, 35, and maybe soon a 24. I'd like to not have to re-adjust my cr-speed holster every time I swap guns.

I have a limcat for a 1911, but I don't really like the switch-lock for holding the gun in. I think the 2 bearing lock holsters are Ghost and DAA.

Any input on the two, or if there's something out there I missed?

I use a Ghost with the same guns (G22, 35, 24 and 17) and I'm happy with it so far.

I'm still (relatively speaking) a novice so take this with a grain of salt. I had only used a DOH and basic molded Kydex holsters previously. No experience (yet) with CR Speed or Limcat holsters.

The unlocked retention isn't the best, but I've practiced a full draw from locked enough so that it isn't an issue for me. Just takes some practice.

Barry

Edited by dbarrym

Took a bit of faith and practice but the Ghost works well with a Glunk 35.

Faith and practice as it seems all too un secure in the beginning but thats the learning curve......

I have a limcat for a 1911, but I don't really like the switch-lock for holding the gun in. I think the 2 bearing lock holsters are Ghost and DAA.

Who told you the DAA used a bearing to lock the gun in? Totally false... The locking and retention mechanism is completely different from the Ghost, and about 5000% better in terms of gun retention - it's also tension adjustable, where the Ghost is not.

Having used both, I would unreservedly pick the DAA Race Master, without a doubt.

The caveat is - I've never used either of these holsters with a Glock, just with a 2011 platform.... So, take it for what it's worth in that regard...

Who told you the DAA used a bearing to lock the gun in? Totally false... The locking and retention mechanism is completely different from the Ghost, and about 5000% better in terms of gun retention - it's also tension adjustable, where the Ghost is not.

Having used both, I would unreservedly pick the DAA Race Master, without a doubt.

The caveat is - I've never used either of these holsters with a Glock, just with a 2011 platform.... So, take it for what it's worth in that regard...

I must have mis-read when I was going through the initial review thread. My mistake. Looks like a nice holster either way.

I'm leaning towards the DAA, because it looks more secure.

I love my Ghost holsters, but haven't used them with anything other than 1911/2011 guns. As for being secure, UNLOCKED the gun absolutely will not come out unless it's lifted 1/4" straight up. You can bang on the bottom of the grip all day, or yank the grip forward until your pants twist and it ain't coming out

I love my Ghost holsters, but haven't used them with anything other than 1911/2011 guns. As for being secure, UNLOCKED the gun absolutely will not come out unless it's lifted 1/4" straight up. You can bang on the bottom of the grip all day, or yank the grip forward until your pants twist and it ain't coming out

Ya might want to check that sentence above... "UNLOCKED the gun absolutely will not come out unless it's lifted 1/4" straight up. You can bang on the bottom of the grip all day, or yank the grip forward until your pants twist and it ain't coming out"

If it's true as written I *totally* disagree.... Now, let' make sure we are talking about the *only* ghost you can buy the "super ghost" (doesn't use the pin you have to drill the grip for).... If so, if the holster is UNLOCKED, you absolutely can knock it out of the holster, in fact it take nothing to do such, the only thing that is holding it in is the slight amount of pressure from the big steel ball, which is rounded, on a spring, and only there for the retention when it is LOCKED. In fact, want to loose one when it's locked, just set down with it in the holster, and *rock* it backwards hard enough (like if you knee hit it on a setting start), and it will rock right past the ball and fall out backwards... Ask lots of people who have had that exact thing happen.

Don't get me wrong, I shoot a ghost, but I'm always checking the little nylon screws to make sure they contact as they should as that is the only thing that will provide a bit of stability to at least make it act secure...

I've recently switched to a Race Master, and there is simply *NO* comparison to the stability of the gun in the holster... NADA, NONE!

Alan

On the new Ghost the steel ball is used for resistance and that is what locks when you move the lever. On the other side of the holster is a white delrin catch that you need to pull the gun up to clear. That is what keeps it from going forward until pulled up, not the steel ball.

If it's true as written I *totally* disagree....

You and me both ;)

How does the DAA lock the pistol in?

Is it some sort of rocker switch?

I'm leaning towards the DAA, got a couple days to decide.

It's a sliding cam arrangement, completely different from anything else on the market.

Tim, I had a Ghost for my Tanfo, but ditched it and went with a Speedsec. Much more secure, faster draw from lock, more comfortable, and just an all around sweet design. It's really the only race holster I like (but I have not had any experience with the LimCat). If you want to swing by my work on the way to OGC (5 minute detour) on Thursday to check it out, let me know - I won't be at the matches for a few weeks...

Tim, I had a Ghost for my Tanfo, but ditched it and went with a Speedsec. Much more secure, faster draw from lock, more comfortable, and just an all around sweet design. It's really the only race holster I like (but I have not had any experience with the LimCat). If you want to swing by my work on the way to OGC (5 minute detour) on Thursday to check it out, let me know - I won't be at the matches for a few weeks...

Thanks Dave, maybe another day. I gotta get to OGC to make sure stuff is going ASAP. Don't have much time.

This works with any glock no further adjustment needed I hve a 17,22 and 35.I went from the holster on the right to the holster on the left.

is that a cut down CR? I thought about doing that, but I can rock the gun out when locked with no muzzle platform with my older CR speed.

This works with any glock no further adjustment needed I hve a 17,22 and 35.I went from the holster on the right to the holster on the left.

is that a cut down CR? I thought about doing that, but I can rock the gun out when locked with no muzzle platform with my older CR speed.

yes it is I did add a small screw in the back of the trigger guard area held in place with JB quick wield . It is adjustable to give tha gun a light push forward againest the white plastic screw. It stays firmly in place even unlocked.I sent pictures to Rescomp/CRSpeed it makes a nice holster and cost less to make I would think.

post-7365-127703885864_thumb.jpg

Edited by usmc1974