Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

WTK: Sighting in a Benelli M1 Super 90 Shotgun with Rifle Sights

Hoover 1

WTK: Sighting in a Benelli M1 Super 90 Shotgun with Rifle Sights

Helping a buddy sight in a Benelli M1 Super 90 rifle sighted shotgun that he recently purchased.

At 25 yards, using a number of various manufacturers slugs, it was shooting about 5 inches low and 4 inched to the right.

Windage was pretty easy to adjust by loosening up the set screws and drifting the rear sight.

Other than filing down the front sight, are there any other suggestions that the board experts have to lower the point of aim?

I was hoping that there may be some different height rear inserts that could raise or lower the rear sight but have been unable to locate any.

Thanks,

Don

Like JJ said, go out further and then see what happens. I know you said you tried a few different kinds, but try some more if you can. If you are able to also, try a different choke as this may affect POI. In my gnu there is a huge difference in Remington vs. winchester vs. Fiocchi, ect.

If all else fails and you must stay with one kind of slug and choke, your next option is to try a different front sight (height).

Thanks for the help guys.

I tried sighting it in at 50 yards today based on your recommendations. I used Winchester LR Ranger, Federal Truball, Federal Hydra Shok, Wolf "standard" and Winchester "standard" slugs. I was using an Improved Cylinder choke.

All the low recoil slugs grouped about 8 inches low and the standard slug grouped about 6 inches low at 50 yards.

Any suggestions on whether to try a modified or cylinder choke to see if it would affect the point of impact?

Been shooting since I was in the military a long, long time ago(when the standard issue rifle was the M14!), but relatively new to semi auto shotguns.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,

Hoover

ABSOLUTELY!!! The only way to regulate a Benelli sight is with the file. NO Ken, they are NOT replacable! I had to remove almost HALF of mine but with the rifle sights you would never noticed it! KurtM

Chokes do make a difference, my M2 shoots slugs better through a modified choke than the others, it does sound as though different chokes will not alter your POI enough though if you are shooting that low !

Thanks for the feedback.

Based on everything, my plans are to try a modified choke and see how that affects the POI.

If still 5-6 inches low at 25 yards, I plan to reduce the front sight height by about .030 inches and see how it does. I would rather file a little and try it and find out that I still need to file a bit more than to file a lot and find out that the gun shoots high.

Thanks,

Hoover

give him a break he's a euro!!! he was having trouble with the whole metric/US thing. :devil:

see you soon mikey!!!!!!!!!trapr

Then he's not the only one!

We spent about a week on the metric system in Miss Jones math class back in 1977.... before we all gave up. :blush:

I filed the dovetail part of an old 1911 hardball type sight to fit the Benelli barrel. It turned out that the hardball sight was just the right amount higher than the stock Benelli rear sight to hit 3 inches high at 50 yards.

It is alot easier to file down the front sight. I did that on the backup Benelli. So far I have not needed the backup.

I filed the dovetail part of an old 1911 hardball type sight to fit the Benelli barrel. It turned out that the hardball sight was just the right amount higher than the stock Benelli rear sight to hit 3 inches high at 50 yards.

Never thought about that. :D

Thanks,

Hoover

I have a M2 , and I had a Dawson persision front sight dove tailed and pined in, and a 1022 rear sight that flips up and down like all of the cool guys put in my shotgun. I have a 50 m point of aim stacking rounds with man slugs going to sight in the reduced recoil soon.

I shoot a LM chock in mine. I had some weirdo from Oklahoma told me to use it. Now I just need to get my hands on some silver solder.

I have a M2 , and I had a Dawson persision front sight dove tailed and pined in, and a 1022 rear sight that flips up and down like all of the cool guys put in my shotgun.

Interesting!

How much difficulty was it to fit the 1022 rear sight to the barrel dove tail?

Thanks,

Hoover