Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for Gunsmith Recomendation

vaknah

hello,

i have a model 67 with a fixed front sight.

i need a smith that will replace it with a pinned fiber-optic sight.

smith and wesson told me they wont do it because i don't want to replace it with a factory sight.

if it were your gun, where would you send it?

bonus points for someplace near rhode island

thanks

I had an old model 15 converted to the standard pinned in smith sight setup at S&W while the trigger stud was being replaced.

Just have them put a patridge blade in it, once you get it back do what you want with it.

I'd be interested in what you find out, and the price. I've got an old 64 with the integral stainless front sight I'd like to replace. It's virtually impossible to see in bright light, and blackening it hasn't be satisfactory.

• 2 weeks later...

i am thinking that i am going to take the weigand sight base suggestion, but i have two questions.

1) who can install it that you would recommend? this is a lot like my original question because i still need someone competent who can do the work.

s&w told me that in order for them to install a basic pinned sight, it would take six weeks...

2) what style of sights do they use?

rounded or trapezoidal?

ie these or these?

thanks for putting up with a total noob

Try Mike LaRocca. He's in Worcester - less than 30 miles from the RI border. What's the bonus?

http://www.laroccagunworks.com/

I'm surprised S&W won't do it. I've had similar work done there several times. I supplied the sight and left it with the gun when I dropped it off. If you are opting for an SDM f/o sight, you'll want the 0.250" high one to work with your stock 67 rear blade. I think you'll find the Hi-Viz sight bead is too big to fit in your factory notch.

Craig

Edited by Bones

um, i guess the bonus will be that you get to see me saturday?

i actually already made arrangements to send it to apex tactical after this weekend.

considering i live on the ri boarder... ill keep larocca in mind in the future.

thanks

tom

edit: ive actually gotten comp III's now, and done away with the pvc speedloader holders... and in the absence of school, had time to practice.

Edited by vaknah

i need a smith that will replace it with a pinned fiber-optic sight.

smith and wesson told me they wont do it because i don't want to replace it with a factory sight.

Send it to S&W and let them install a factory pinned front sight. When you get it back you can drive out the pin, remove the factory blade, and install what you want.

Try Mike LaRocca. He's in Worcester - less than 30 miles from the RI border.

That name is a blast from the past for me! I used to shoot bowling pins with Mike LaRocca (a very good gunsmith, by the way) every week back in the '80s during the three years I lived in New England. In fact, the matches were run by one of LaRocca's gunsmiths, a guy named Ringo. They were both good shooters. Wonder if Ringo is still around?

Mike's a great guy. He built my action-pistol-shooting-obligatory-crazy-expensive-and-finicky 9mm 1911 for me before functional factory options were readily available.

We'll see you Saturday Tom - IDPA in the AM and ICORE in the PM. Magnum Bob Powell will be Master of Ceremonies for the ICORE match.

i am thinking that i am going to take the weigand sight base suggestion, but i have two questions.

1) who can install it that you would recommend? this is a lot like my original question because i still need someone competent who can do the work.

s&w told me that in order for them to install a basic pinned sight, it would take six weeks...

2) what style of sights do they use?

rounded or trapezoidal?

ie these or these?

thanks for putting up with a total noob

Edit to add links SANTURRI

DERR PRECISION

Closer to you than Mike L is Dave Santurri in Attleboro formerly of RI. I think he was in Cranston. I used Greg Derr of Derr Precision when I had a Weigand base installed. Price was fair, work was excellent.

Sinclair1.jpg

Edited by Round_Gun_Shooter