Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Glock 35 Feed Problems

joestefano

New Setup: Glock 35, Lone Wolf Slide, Lone Wolf threaded barrel, Jager Compensator, Jager full length guide rod with 13 lbs spring, SJC microdot STS frame mount. Ammunition: Reloads 180gr Round nose, 4.4gr Titegroup, P.F 170 OAL 1.143

Problem: With full mag inserted (tried other mag’s), rack slide, bullet binds going into barrel (stops at the top of the case) this does not happen every time. Last night I put 40 rounds thru with no problem. Today, big problems, when the jamb occurs I remove mag and bullet is loose tip barrel down and round falls in barrel. While shooting the same thing happens about a third of the time. I have run about 200 rounds thru the gun so far with the problem occurring aprox. 50 times. Inspection of rejected round does not reveal much and they are all different brands.

Any thoughts?

post-23900-127584936329_thumb.jpgpost-23900-127584938605_thumb.jpgpost-23900-127584940099_thumb.jpgpost-23900-127584941629_thumb.jpgpost-23900-127584943086_thumb.jpgpost-23900-12758494404_thumb.jpg

First. Very nice set up! Some things to work on.

Are you describing "handing cycling" the gun?

If not you may be dealing with a slide speed problem. A good Limited Major load might not run this gun.

Grab a small box of Hornady 155 JHPs and some Winchester Auto-Comp. Search or PM me for some load help.

The Lone Wolf barrel/chamber screams for the use of a U-die.

Use a shorter OAL in the 1.131-1.135 area.

First. Very nice set up! Some things to work on.

Are you describing "handing cycling" the gun?

If not you may be dealing with a slide speed problem. A good Limited Major load might not run this gun.

Grab a small box of Hornady 155 JHPs and some Winchester Auto-Comp. Search or PM me for some load help.

The Lone Wolf barrel/chamber screams for the use of a U-die.

Use a shorter OAL in the 1.131-1.135 area.

Jman,

Thanks for your response. It first occurs when I rack the slide to chamber the 1st round (but not every time). I could shoot a full mag with no problem, reload it and have every other round jamb.

Unfortunaltey the indoor range that I belong to does not allow jacketed ammo so this is tough to try.

That being said I would be very interested in some help with my loads.

What is a "U-die"?

Joe

For my Glock 35 I use an OAL of 1.125. Anything more than that and my rounds will get stuck in the rifling of the barrel. I would try an OAL of 1.125 to 1.130

Is that the OEM barrel? I load by BBI 180gr and zero JHP's to 1.135-1.140 in stock barrel with no problems.\

To the OP, I would try a shorter oal and check your crimp. If that doesn't work I would send a few dummy rounds and the barrel back to lone wolf. Let them ream and polish the chamber to match your loads. Give them a call first.

ETA-A "U" die is sold by EGW (evolution gun works). It is a Lee decap/resize die that is made a tad smaller than the normal Lee die. It works great for "Glocked" (bulged in the web) brass. It resizes the cases a bit better and further down.

Edited by dsmw5142

Extractor and mag spring are two major parts that you want to looking at regarding open major Glock.You might want to re-considering your powder's choice for open major too.

Good luck

Yuth

Jman,

Thanks for your response. It first occurs when I rack the slide to chamber the 1st round (but not every time). I could shoot a full mag with no problem, reload it and have every other round jamb.

Unfortunaltey the indoor range that I belong to does not allow jacketed ammo so this is tough to try.

That being said I would be very interested in some help with my loads.

What is a "U-die"?

Joe

The Lone Wolf barrels have a VERY tight chamber. EGW makes an "undersized" resizing die to help. http://egw-guns.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=40&products_id=40

A Lone Wolf Barrel is pretty much a paper weight with a bullet diameter over .400 unless you send a half dozen dummy rounds to Lone Wolf. They will ream the chamber to the appropriate size for you at a nominal cost.

You do need to find an outdoor facility to get up to speed with your set up and ammo. That's a real priority. :cheers:

UPDATE: I reduced my OAL to 1.128 and increased my crimp a bit. I ran 50 rounds without any feed problems. I also on the advice of Lone Wolf customer service, softened the lip around the mouth of the barrel with some 320grit glued to a dowel and polished the ramp. I did have two jambs that were caused by a bulge in the bottom of the case. I'll have to check every round before a match. I hope the die from EGW will reduced the occurrence of this. I'll have to chrono my rounds at the new OAL to see the change in my P.F.

Thank you again to the people that helped me sort this out.

• 9 months later...

I have a Dillon case guage and my cases go in like a charm. I am shooting g35 limited gun but I am looking at going open with the Jager drop in stuff My question is I know the glock chamber can feed rocks, but if they pass the case guage they should go into an aftermarket chamber right??

Lone Wolf barrels/chambers are pretty tight. If you ask Danny at LW, he will polish and throat the barrel chamber. It made a big difference for mine when it was new.

Two things I did to get my G35 to run good...one is use 1.130" OAL max.

Second is I put each once-fired brass through a Gr-X push-thru die (setup on a Lee single stage press). I used to get about 20% case gauge failures with once-fired brass. After using Gr-X die, I get 100% good-to-go brass. I tried the U die, but it undersized too much for my liking. Oh...use lube with Gr-X push-thru die or you won't get it through.