Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR15 - your favorite powder for 55 gr?

walsh

Loaded thousands of 55gr FMJBT Hornadys w/cannelure. Best groups were with H-335 or W748 (same powder). I tried BL-C2, but didn't do much better with it. I shot these in my Wilson M4 Custom Combat AR-15, and groups hung around 1.5" @ 100 yds.

The Wilson had a fast twist bbl, and really preferred the 69SMK's over Varget (3/4" groups).

I had a Rock River Varmint 24" with the 1:8 bbl (Wilson) that put 55-grainers under an inch, and 69 SMK's under 1/2". It was not very picky about what it shot.

H335 and W748 are not the same.

• 2 weeks later...

Winchester 748 is my dedicated 5.56mm powder... Usually 23.6gns topped with 55, 69, 77, or 80gn bullets with a CCI #41 primer. I get excellent accuracy, velocity, and zero pressure signs out of ANY of my AR's. I have shot many a 1/2 MOA and a few 3/8 MOA 10 round groups @ 200 with this load.

Ken

Winchester 748 is my dedicated 5.56mm powder... Usually 23.6gns topped with 55, 69, 77, or 80gn bullets with a CCI #41 primer. I get excellent accuracy, velocity, and zero pressure signs out of ANY of my AR's. I have shot many a 1/2 MOA and a few 3/8 MOA 10 round groups @ 200 with this load.

Ken

My 18" JP absolutely LOVES this exact load under a Nosler 69 gr HPBT. The nice thing about W748 is that you can find it in nearly every gunshop. :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

Ken

My 18" JP absolutely LOVES this exact load under a Nosler 69 gr HPBT. The nice thing about W748 is that you can find it in nearly every gunshop. :cheers:

I have been using that same powder but 26.0 grains under 55grn hdy's I was not thrilled with how accurate it was. I am going to try backing it down a bit. I had zero signs of over pressure and I am still .3 under what it shows as a max load but I would not mind getting sub moa groups :-)

Try 2460.. 25 grains with 55's gets me 3180 and will knock over LaRue's past 350 for sure. For my hoser rounds, 23.5 makes minimum and its like shooting a cap gun. I am also working loads with 8208 to get around the temp issues with most powders. 748 is way too temp sensitive for our fine weather here in OK.

M