Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

putting on a good match, The MD/RM

This is the first in a series of topics that I was asked to put together, these ideas are not just my own, but are from multiple discussions with very experienced competitors, who will remain nameless and of course my partner in crime, Kurt Miller.

Putting on a good match!!.........primarily 3 gun/multigun type, but good info for all matches.

By, Trapr Swonson

A good match is much like an airplane landing; any one you can live through is good. There are just

many varying degrees of good, and if any one of the following isn’t good, then someone will call the

match “BAD” and for them it will be the truth. A match is made up of these parts, staff, stages, time,

targets, shooters, the venue, prizes, and a contingency plan. One or two may not apply all the time but

they will at all major matches. So let’s start with the person that’s ultimately in charge of the match.

The MD/RM, to take this responsibility you MUST be able to, admit when you have screwed up, accept

ultimate responsibility for anything match related, never accept sole responsibility for a good match,

know the rules for your particular match, and expect the unexpected. The stress level will be very high,

if you truly want to host a good match, so during the match you need to be open minded and even

tempered about all the little concerns or better ways that competitors and others will bring to your

attention. Most of the time it is meant only as a helpful suggestion, but with the stress of a match it

can be taken as a critical assessment, and if you bite off their head and spit it out, the perception

they get is “man that MD/RM is an ass”. So you need to be as diplomatic as possible and as easy going

as you can be and realize that things will go wrong, small things and big things, you need to be flexible

“semper gumby” is a good motto. As a MD, I had an RO that mistakenly changed a start position for all

of the competitors. The staff had shot the stage the previous day with an empty gun start, but he ran

all of the competitors with only an empty chamber start position. I chose to let the stage stand,

since the all the paid competitors shot it the same and the advantage was to them. As the MD/RM you

will have to deal with these type situations, if you handle them fairly and calmly it will say much for your

character and demeanor. As for reducing the stress level as much as possible, you should not try and

shoot your match for score. Many competitors and others will tell you otherwise and try to convince

you to shoot it,……………DON’T!!!!

the next topic, RO's will follow shortly....................thanks

Edited by bigbrowndog

it may take a moderator at this point, I'll ask. if you start at the first in the series, I label the next topic at the end so it should be easy to follow the progression.

Trapr

Edited by bigbrowndog

Good part one!

too shoot the match or not shoot the match,,

Size of match. counts,, for just the reg,,, Local match, shoot it, you might never get to shoot a match at your

local club, as an MD/RM,

for a big match,, I agree ""don't shoot it"",,

Jim M ammo

This like a book...so maybe you should write a book, or booklet. These guides(all of them) are like-priceless. Truly good insight. I think this is called a moment of clarity or something.

This like a book...so maybe you should write a book, or booklet. These guides(all of them) are like-priceless. Truly good insight. I think this is called a moment of clarity or something.

Too funny,,, a how to book about 3 Gun.

It has been written,, it is at the editor right now as we type.

I hope to get it to the publisher very soon,,

Jim M ammo

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

, you should not try and

shoot your match for score. Many competitors and others will tell you otherwise and try to convince

you to shoot it,……………DON'T!!!!

the next topic, RO's will follow shortly....................thanks

A typical major pistol match for me is staff on Friday, and the bulk of the shooters on the weekend. As MD, I won't shoot on staff day. And, I won't shoot the first couple of hours in the morning on the weekend. But, after putting out the morning fires, things tend to run smoothly for me. I'll kick back and breath a bit, then I will gear up and shoot through a few stages. I might break it up, but I usually get it done. (Granted, gearing up to shoot a Glock...not to taxing.)

I do think it is important to experience shooting the stages.