Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need data for loading Desert Eagle .44 Mag

Loading my DE .44 Mag I already have 240Gr HP/XTP'S mix brass (some new remington)CCI LPP350(mag) AND H110 POWDEr.. anyone ever load for a DE .44 using CCI LPP300 instead of the CCI350 LPP? 2.)Can I use other powders to work with CCIlpp300 that is clean being that my DE has a gas tube I dont want to clog so that it cycles properly? 3.) anyone have any loading data or should I say dish's so that I can feed my monster? imma newb at this and my press should be here in a few days I just want to be ready? any help will be great!

h-110 and win 296 are GREAT powders for making maximum flash and bamg forthe big ol desert eagle, 1 thingto remember about those 2 powders is that you cannot reduce that load by morethan 10 percent, you will end up with a detonation rather than a controlled burn

also for clarification,the DE has a gas port, not a true gas tube(ie. like an AR platform) and you are right, shoot only jacketed thru it, lead will clog the crap out ofthe thing, and it will spit lead pieces for a loooong time afterwards

read read read yourreloading manuals!!!! make a mistake andthings go sideways in a hurry, and remember, if it does, its only at arms length away, so be careful and havefun!!!!

h-110 and win 296 are GREAT powders for making maximum flash and bamg forthe big ol desert eagle, 1 thingto remember about those 2 powders is that you cannot reduce that load by morethan 10 percent, you will end up with a detonation rather than a controlled burn

also for clarification,the DE has a gas port, not a true gas tube(ie. like an AR platform) and you are right, shoot only jacketed thru it, lead will clog the crap out ofthe thing, and it will spit lead pieces for a loooong time afterwards

read read read yourreloading manuals!!!! make a mistake andthings go sideways in a hurry, and remember, if it does, its only at arms length away, so be careful and havefun!!!!

Thanks Calishootr, read my manuals will do ,Just wanted to know what you pro's are usein befor I start exspirimenting with other powders.= have H110 but Im adding 2400 and win 296 to my grocery list.. Now when you say you cnnot reduce the load by 10%, do you mean in tenth's(.0) of the max load?(sorry if this is a stupid question?) and for the OAL does it have to be exact OAl if not what would be reasonable?(this might be another stupid question)

in my world, the only stupid question is the onethat isnt asked, some people like to reduce a particular load(for practice or whatever) and certain powders, 110 and 296 in particular are reccomended that the total charge weight, not be reduced by more than 10 percent, by a tenth or two is not that big of a deal, 5 or 10 whole grains(round number offthetop of my head) mite or could be a big deal.

as for OAL length being critical, forthe .44 mag it isnt really, because you will be seating the bullet down to the cannelure(crimp groove) so you can put a big roll cri,p on it so the bullets dont pull out under recoil, and it will holdthe bullet in the case longer so the powders you are working with get a good full burn, 2400 isnt as flashy as the other 2 powders, 110 and 296 will(or have with mine) produced fairly impressive fireballs out ofthe eagle

2 things unique to the eagle, too light a load, and it may not cycle the eagle with its stout spring system, and too heavy of a load, the empties will 'snap' straight back into your face(ask me how i know this) as with all loadingthere is a trial and error period before you find a loadthat the gun and you like

Alliants Power pistol has a very bright, camera like flash, when it gets over about 8 grains. Very clean, I've been loading my 40's with it for years. It's pretty cheap too, around $16.00 per lb from Midway. Here are some recipes for the 44 mag using power pistol.

44 Rem Magnum 200 gr Speer Mag JHP Speer OAL 1.59 BARREL 8.3 PRIMER CCI 300 Power Pistol CHG WEIGHT IN GRAINS 15.5 VELOCITY 1,573 -

44 Rem Magnum 210 gr Speer GDHP Speer OAL 1.6 BARREL 7.5 PRIMER CCI 300 Power Pistol CHG WEIGHT IN GRAINS 14.5 VELOCITY 1,504 -

These are published on Alliants website.

For the 240 grain XTP's, I'd start out around 13.5 grains with an OAL of around 1.6 and work the powder charge up from there.

Warning! If you fire these at night, it's very possible that your neighbor will think it's going to storm, as the flash is soo bright, it looks like lightening! (very cool, though! :goof: )

H110 and 296 are the same powder dont waste your money buying both, any of the medium to slow pistol powders should work, What is the intended use of the rounds ? impressing the friends ? hunting? holes in card board ? A powder like Universal should work well be clean and be cheaper as you'll have a lower charge weight than H110 or 2400. You wont generate max velocity with it but you can still make some stout loads.

Edited by Joe4d

in my world, the only stupid question is the onethat isnt asked, some people like to reduce a particular load(for practice or whatever) and certain powders, 110 and 296 in particular are reccomended that the total charge weight, not be reduced by more than 10 percent, by a tenth or two is not that big of a deal, 5 or 10 whole grains(round number offthetop of my head) mite or could be a big deal.

as for OAL length being critical, forthe .44 mag it isnt really, because you will be seating the bullet down to the cannelure(crimp groove) so you can put a big roll cri,p on it so the bullets dont pull out under recoil, and it will holdthe bullet in the case longer so the powders you are working with get a good full burn, 2400 isnt as flashy as the other 2 powders, 110 and 296 will(or have with mine) produced fairly impressive fireballs out ofthe eagle

2 things unique to the eagle, too light a load, and it may not cycle the eagle with its stout spring system, and too heavy of a load, the empties will 'snap' straight back into your face(ask me how i know this) as with all loadingthere is a trial and error period before you find a loadthat the gun and you like

So I got my press Wednesday! thanks santa! lol.. I finaly put it together and loaded my 1st batch! IAM HOOKED!... 240 XTPhp 24gr of H110 CCI(350 MAGLPP) BUT it kept bouncin to 23.9 , 24.2 my goal was to stay measured to 24.0gr on my lymans 49th edition said to start 23.5 max 24.5 thanks for your input!

Alliants Power pistol has a very bright, camera like flash, when it gets over about 8 grains. Very clean, I've been loading my 40's with it for years. It's pretty cheap too, around $16.00 per lb from Midway. Here are some recipes for the 44 mag using power pistol.

44 Rem Magnum 200 gr Speer Mag JHP Speer OAL 1.59 BARREL 8.3 PRIMER CCI 300 Power Pistol CHG WEIGHT IN GRAINS 15.5 VELOCITY 1,573 -

44 Rem Magnum 210 gr Speer GDHP Speer OAL 1.6 BARREL 7.5 PRIMER CCI 300 Power Pistol CHG WEIGHT IN GRAINS 14.5 VELOCITY 1,504 -

For the 240 grain XTP's, I'd start out around 13.5 grains with an OAL of around 1.6 and work the powder charge up from there.

Warning! If you fire these at night, it's very possible that your neighbor will think it's going to storm, as the flash is soo bright, it looks like lightening! (very cool, though! :goof: )

wouldnt 13.5 be to low to start with? Thanks for the recipe Imma put Power Pistal on my grocery list next to the cheese

wouldnt 13.5 be to low to start with? Thanks for the recipe Imma put Power Pistal on my grocery list next to the cheese

It takes less powder for a heavier bullet, or you end up spiking pressure. Keep in mind that all powders don't have the same burn rate. Where one might only take a charge weight of 10 grains to reach a specified velocity, another powder might take 20 grains. The max charge listed on Alliants' website is 15.5 with a 200 grain bullet, so find the bullet weight closest to what you are loading, and go from there. You also should start ANY load by dropping the powder charge 10%, regardless of what the max charge is.

H110 and 396 are the same powder dont waste your money buying both, any of the medium to slow pistol powders should work, What is the intended use of the rounds ? impressing the friends ? hunting? holes in card board ? A powder like Universal should work well be clean and be cheaper as you'll have a lower charge weight than H110 or 2400. You wont gher enerate max velocity with it but you can still make some stout loads.

Other then the price Of a box of Hornady XTP/HP are 34.99 for 20 r0unds, where I can make that for what almost 16.00 buxfor 50 rounds... not much into impressing many people, I just love the thrill in shooting good dependable ammo and to share the knowledge you all have givin me to pass on to my kids along with safty tips! I just wanna be a good reloader,safty 1st ,and yes for the cardboard and hunting in the future(I never hunted with a handgun)! what is the difference between H110 and 269? I loaded 30 rounds last night and it was awsome! 240gr XTP/hp 24gr of H110 mix brass Rem/Win with CCI mag primers... what is your opinion on my loads? was gonna try 23.5 or a couple of tenths more or so!!

It takes less powder for a heavier bullet, or you end up spiking pressure. Keep in mind that all powders don't have the same burn rate. Where one might only take a charge weight of 10 grains to reach a specified velocity, another powder might take 20 grains. The max charge listed on Alliants' website is 15.5 with a 200 grain bullet, so find the bullet weight closest to what you are loading, and go from there. You also should start ANY load by dropping the powder charge 10%, regardless of what the max charge is.

oh okay that was for Alliants, got ya! I compleated 30 rounds to test saturday it was awsome! Hornady 240XTP/HP MIX BRASS H110 of 24.0 powder with CCI MAG PRIMERS WHATS YOUR OPINOION? WANNA TRY 23.5 MAYBE A FEW TENTHS OR MORE. AS i put the powder on the scale it would bounce around 23.8 too 24.2! IDKY?!!

i've got an older book, that doesnt show the hornady xtp bullet, but has loads for the 240 gr. none the same, and it lists 25 grs as a maximum load, so you have a ways to go, bear in mind, you are working with an auto loader, and max charges may not be the best thing ie. muzzle flip and or ejection straight back into your face during its operation, if its its arcing the empties out and to the right like a 'normal' 9mm or .40 autoloader, and your not showing pressure signs(flattened primers) then i'd leave it and save the powder, 110 and 296 are crowd pleasers with their flash, but as some have said here. there are other,maybe better powders to work with

Okay,Okay! I just came from the local range! It went well everyone some little problems,but it went well!!! as far as the grouping I need to work on that,I was also nervus as hell. but I prayed to the AmmoGods and they got me threw!lol... made only 50 complete rounds I counted 47 and one from my mistake wasnt crimp so I put that one to the side.. Few times a round or two got stuck in my Magazine!IDKY?Can someone tell me why it was a new magazine! can it be my OAL? thanks Tex,Grumpy(akaFUNNY),Cali and all who gave me recipes and helped me with my loads! If I had sisters I would ask you all to date em!lol... oyea thanks AMMO GODS! happy,Fun,and safe shooting!

If they got stuck in your mag, then it's probably an OAL thing. Did you put them aside to measure them?

Btw, I didn't come by the name "GrumpOne" by accident....Stay on my good side! :P

Ps, I wouldn't date your sister even if you paid me! :goof:

I'm married! ;)

Damm! I didnt grumpy I just wanted to keep shooting! well I do got one the one I didnt crimp, it reads 1.607. one round was kinda hard to get out I had to stick a pen down the mag push down and let it spring back up,and when I pushed down on it I pushed down twords the head & extractor groove rim...

Damm! I didnt grumpy I just wanted to keep shooting! well I do got one the one I didnt crimp, it reads 1.607. one round was kinda hard to get out I had to stick a pen down the mag push down and let it spring back up,and when I pushed down on it I pushed down twords the head & extractor groove rim...

The problem is most likely the OAL. Of course, your mags might like them a bit shorter though. If you are gonna load them shorter, I'd back off on the charge weight a little bit.

Okay im going to lower my seating die, now that means my crimp also right? I talked my wife (I too sold my soul to the devil!) into buyin myself some bullets and brass and I also talked her into going to the range! so i will let you know what happened tomarrow! :-)

The crimp should remain the same, you are just seating the bullet a tad deeper. When you are seating/crimping, is the cannelure (the ribbed ring around the bullet) visible at all? When crimped, only the tiniest bit of the cannelure should show.

The crimp should remain the same, you are just seating the bullet a tad deeper. When you are seating/crimping, is the cannelure (the ribbed ring around the bullet) visible at all? When crimped, only the tiniest bit of the cannelure should show.

In my loading manual(Lyman 49th Edition) for 240gr bullet it said my OAL should be 1.610 and that was my goal the last bach I made but since I had problems with my magazine I brought the seating die down and now my new batch reads 1.598-1.602, my goal was for the OAL was 1.600.. I figured that my crimp was fine so I left it alone. In my L.Book it said my crimp is .456 i got my new batch reading @ .452-.456... And yes the the tiniest bit of the cannelure is visable. How exact do my change's have to be?

Those should work. What I would do is load a mag full, then strip them out, one by one, by racking the slide, and see what happens.

I didnt get a chance to hit the range Sunday, Im on call so when they call I gotta report for duty! I did what you had said and unloaded the clips by racking the slidethey worked fine as far as that! Question!! I came across a box of Nosler 240gr 429" coppered around the bullet except the nose its a lead HP..... can I go by the same Recipe? and is that type of bullet concidered a soft tip and or a flat nose bullet!