Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

LR rifle targets and no shoots

Has anyone used LR rifle targets in conjunction with no shoots???? by LR i'm refering to anything over 100yds, it seems to me that it would be a very easy way of making a shot more challenging and not increasing the distance, or when a match is limited in the distances available.

i cannot see a down side, if its handled with some thought. I think a full size popper with a US popper in front would make for a very good challenge, or even 2 full size poppers with one set slightly in front and to the side at 200ish yards, I think you could even use the MGM auto poppers and then only give one no shoot hit regardless of the number of hits since it will spring back up and in the way. Now I realize that none of this is Association approved so it would have to be done in non-standardized matches, but it seems to have merit, and would allow for shorter distances, which in turn would allow for quicker reset time by staff or shooters. If you really had to you could use "flash" targets with no shoots as well, although IMO all steel should fall in order to avoid errors or misjudgements in called hits or misses.

anyway if someone has experience with this let me know, I'm interested in implementing it at a match near you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trapr

Absolutely. Having started 3 gunning down in Florida where the average range is under 200 yards, most were 100 yards, we had to make extensive use of hardcover, reduced distance targets, no-shoots, etc. We use a lot of the MGM Mini Poppers/spring loaded and 5X5 Plates. Lots of head shots and structure to force various position shooting. Mixing "in your face" to deliberate 100 yard shots to vary the cadence/movement.

That's why most of us out of Florida were very good at run and gun 3 guns, but sucked at distances over 200 yards.

Edited by Jack T

I've been thinking of doing it for the next MG match I set up but since it's going to involve shooting on something that moves I'll wait until I have a better plan in mind...

Thanks for some ideas I haden't thought of with the auto poppers :devil:

It seems that Slowsure did that several years ago with the mini popper in front of other steel plates but I think it was a hardcover not as no shoots. Made the whole thing pretty interesting.

Has anyone used LR rifle targets in conjunction with no shoots???? by LR i'm refering to anything over 100yds, it seems to me that it would be a very easy way of making a shot more challenging and not increasing the distance, or when a match is limited in the distances available.

i cannot see a down side, if its handled with some thought. I think a full size popper with a US popper in front would make for a very good challenge, or even 2 full size poppers with one set slightly in front and to the side at 200ish yards, I think you could even use the MGM auto poppers and then only give one no shoot hit regardless of the number of hits since it will spring back up and in the way. Now I realize that none of this is Association approved so it would have to be done in non-standardized matches, but it seems to have merit, and would allow for shorter distances, which in turn would allow for quicker reset time by staff or shooters. If you really had to you could use "flash" targets with no shoots as well, although IMO all steel should fall in order to avoid errors or misjudgements in called hits or misses.

anyway if someone has experience with this let me know, I'm interested in implementing it at a match near you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trapr

Trapr,

We used a no shoot distance target in a hostage stage during a match early last month. We took two mini-auto reset poppers and placed them on either side of a 12" mild steel gong at 200 yds. Here is a link to a photo on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=5644231&id=143101622645 The white mini-poppers are hostage takers and the blue gong is the hostage.

They were shot from two different positions which offered two different angles. Also, telling the shooters, which were friends who cared, that they would damage the mild steel gong really put and additional bit of pressure on them. It was a fun stage. I have attached the stage description as well.

Cheers,

Kyle

post-21212-127546104106_thumb.jpg

Edited by DocMcG

Trapr

Trapr,

We used a no shoot distance target in a hostage stage during a match early last month. We took two mini-auto reset poppers and placed them on either side of a 12" mild steel gong at 200 yds. Here is a link to a photo on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=5644231&id=143101622645 The white mini-poppers are hostage takers and the blue gong is the hostage.

They were shot from two different positions which offered two different angles. Also, telling the shooters, which were friends who cared, that they would damage the mild steel gong really put and additional bit of pressure on them. It was a fun stage. I have attached the stage description as well.

Cheers,

Kyle

It was a good stage too!

I just should have brought my,,, precision ammo and not my hosier ammo,,

I know better,, for next time,,

Jim M ammo

• 2 weeks later...

Trapr

At the three gun match I hosted on Memorial day I had one stage with a top on no shoots. People were nick naming it a sea of white. I used a full size USPSA target with the white facing the shooter. then I put a half sized USPSA target in the middle of it. Then I took a half sized USPSA target and cut the head off and placed the white body over the body of the shoot target. All that was available to hit was a half sized head target at 50 yards all around it was white. There were two targets like that on the stage. Many people took penalties on that stage. The other targets were a mix of full sized no shoot with a half sized shoot target in the middle to ones with just the head and shoulders available in the middle of a no shoot.