Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Has this ever happened to you?

Steve J

It could be any load in any caliber, but for the record I was shooting a 230gr Zero FMJ over 4.4gr Tite-Group in new Starline cases with Wolf LPP.

We were shooting a 3-stage steel challenge match last night. First two stages - 50+ rounds - no problems at all. I step up to shoot the last stage and the gun starts smoking like a chimney and the slide is sluggish. Signs of poor ignition I think. All the primers came from the same 100 round box. I took the gun to the range at lunch today and ran a couple of magazines through it from the next box with no hint of the same problem. Unfortunately I didn't think take out the remainder of the box that started smoking.

Has anyone ever seen a line of 10 or so substandard primers in an otherwise good box?

edited title.

Edited by Steve J

as i recall it was in Brian's reloading tape??? where he mentioned to look at the primers before fillingthe tubes to see ifthey actually had allthe parts in em, ie priming compound etc....till then it never occuredto me to really pay attention...go figure, lo an behold i started looking and i found one without an anvil!!!! yeah, i look at em from now on....

I had some Wolf SPP with no anvils. One box in a case. I now look at every primer, face down, before I flip them to load the tubes for just this reason. I check all my primers in this way now.

Wierd things happen. :wacko:

JZ

It could be any load in any caliber, but for the record I was shooting a 230gr Zero FMJ over 4.4gr Tite-Group in new Starline cases with Wolf LPP.

We were shooting a 3-stage steel challenge match last night. First two stages - 50+ rounds - no problems at all. I step up to shoot the last stage and the gun starts smoking like a chimney and the slide is sluggish. Signs of poor ignition I think. All the primers came from the same 100 round box. I took the gun to the range at lunch today and ran a couple of magazines through it from the next box with no hint of the same problem. Unfortunately I didn't think take out the remainder of the box that started smoking.

Has anyone ever seen a line of 10 or so substandard primers in an otherwise good box?

edited title.

No, not in 200k I have never seen it like that. What I have seen is some that failed to light at all and a couple that seemed a bit sluggish. What you had, to me, sounds more like powder contamination. Perhaps you got to much lube and some in the case? I had issues like that with Dillon lube when it got into the cases.

I now also have had four completely bad primers in my second 20k of Wolf LPP. A couple lit on a second strike, but a couple didn't. I'm pretty good about making sure all have anvils before loading. I have on occasion seated a primer in a bad case and pushed it back out and reused it. I'll stop doing that before I swear off of Wolf. They truly are cleaner burning than any of the others. As Murphy would have it, two of the completely bad primers came at a major match and on a classifier.

Well I too have had primer issues - Not with poor ignition, but no way could you load them in a 650. I bought several boxes of CCI small rifle Magnum primers and start to reload them and they started jamming the primer system on my 650. After a lot of - tear down - reload, etc I decided to mic the thickness of the the primers. Well the ones that I was having a problems with were .020" taller than the rest of them. The anvil was not seated correctly. So after finding 200 out of spec primers (of the box of 1000), I was able to use the remainder of them. I did contact CCI about them, they wanted to know lot numbers and later what kind of equipment I was using. After telling them it was a Dillon 650, I could never get a response back (either via email or voice mail).