Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CRO Experience Requirement

coldchar

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tough sell.

I can sell..."hey, we have organized a CRO class. These only are held here once every 3-5 yrs. Lets get you signed up!"

I can't sell the add on..."first you need to get on staff and work 2 Level II matches...this year, in Indiana and Pennsylvania, (etc.)"

Tough sell.

I can sell..."hey, we have organized a CRO class. These only are held here once every 3-5 yrs. Lets get you signed up!"

I can't sell the add on..."first you need to get on staff and work 2 Level II matches...this year, in Indiana and Pennsylvania, (etc.)"

Yeah, it IS a really tough sell if you try to do it in 2 sound bites.

Mentoring new shooters and training your replacements is a long, on-going process that starts when the new guy arrives at the range. Our new shooter safety briefing ends with a paragraph that has nothing to do with safety: It reminds them that this is an all volunteer sport and everyone is expected to pitch in (starting with taping and re-setting stages).

After a few months, you pull the new guy aside, and mention the level 1 NROI course. Generally, at that point, there is a group they have been shooting with, which includes RO's who can help encourage getting in the class. Once the ink is dry on the RO card, I start mentioning the upcoming section matches (my own & those nearby). It is a great opportunity for the new RO to learn from experienced RO's & CRO's.

After that first section match, you ask if they are interested in stage design. They usually have a few ideas at that point. You offer to pair them up with an experienced stage designer, who will give the stage some constructive criticism and then include that stage in the next local match. You throw in a few comments about creativity, leadership skills, etc, and then mention that work at just one more section match or Area match will make them eligible for the CRO course.

Sorry about the long explanation, but the "sell" takes place over time, based on an established relationship with the shooters and up-and-coming leadership of your club. It is not an organized "plot" but rather something I do reflexively. Prevent burn out. Train your replacements.

Linda Chico (L-2035)

Columbia SC

Linda's post above is more about everything that is right with our sport and that which is completely wrong with our sport.

If you have match and club leadership like Linda outlines, all is good with the club and the sport as well as range staff grows.

But everyone does not and will not do that. It is sort of like the baby born in the rich house or the poor house. Our belief is that both are created equal but that fades rapidly after birth.

While that local club is rewarded by their own effort, they get real tired real quickly of others taking advantage of their success. After a while they no longer want to host all the section matches, provide staff and stages for other matches, etc. Leadership is best when everyone takes a turn and a real drag when they don't.