Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

is a 5'' barrel in a 625 more accurate than a 4''

colt

In my opinion,the 5 inch is better because it give me 1 more inch of sight radius for my "old eyes". So, in that regard it is easier for me to shoot it more accurately than a 4 inch. Plus I like the balance on a 5 inch better.

Phil G

Take a box full of each and try them out and I am sure the results will not prove a thing! Some shooters prefer 5" and others 4"! Some say the longer sight radius makes for better accuracy while others say it doesn't matter! IDPA sets 4" as max for revos while USPSA allows longer.

FWIW

Richard

I was looking for a 5" for USPSA and I found a 4" that is all set up and ready to go at a good price. I wasn't sure I notice enough difference to mater. I have learned if you hesitate to long the gun will sell fast.

Brent

Edited by colt

I certainly think more sight radius is better, but given the cost and availability of 625s I wouldn't turn down a 4 inch. There is a point where the weight of the barrel becomes an issue (consider the 6" 617), but that isn't a problem with the 5" barrel that is bored out for a .45.

Edited by adweisbe

I would think that it depends on the person.

I have both a 625-6 in 5" and a 625-8 in 4" and I'm naturally more accurate with the 4". I don't know if that's just a freak of nature or what, but that's the way it happens for me. Both guns have a smooth as silk 8 lb trigger and are in great condition so the only real difference is the bbl length. I would have thought it would be the other way around with the longer sight radius and all....... whodathunkit?

Virtually all the top-level USPSA Revo Division competitors have gravitated to a 5" gun (and some, to the even longer 6"-6.5" barrels). Keith held out with a 4" 625 for quite a while, then finally switched to a 5". The sight radius is one issue, but the bigger advantage is the improvement in balance and recoil control that is achieved with the 5" tube. You wouldn't think one little extra inch of barrel would make that much difference....but it sure as hell does. I even found myself a 5" 629 in order to have a .44 Magnum utility revolver that would have a similar feel to my competition guns!