Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 550 Press and Redding G-RX Sizing Die

I have a 550 dillin and I just got a redding g-rx die for resizing 40 cal range brass. How do I get the push rod to work with my 550 press??

I don't believe you can make your G-Rx die work in your 550. Your best bet is to purchase an inexpensive single stage press which you can dedicate to resizing your .40 S&W brass.

I have a 550 dillin and I just got a redding g-rx die for resizing 40 cal range brass. How do I get the push rod to work with my 550 press??

YOU DON'T---NO NO NO buy a used old single stage--

Actually, if you call Redding, they made a small quantity of pieces to allow you to use the RL550 with the GRX push through die. I spoke with them at the NRA Convention last weeked.

I don't see the need for either the Lee or Redding die. The same thing can be accomplished by properly sizing your brass with the sizing die. That being said, if your brass is bulging there are other issues at play and the remedy surely is not a die.

• 2 months later...

I too don't have a reason to use G-RX dies.

I shoot quite a bit of police range brass with the bulge. Had issues before with the bulge and not being able to case gauge. Picked up a Lee Factory Crimp Die as my final stage which cut my no-fit ratio from about 3-5% down to way under 1%, to the point where the brass I lose could not be made up with the purchase of the die much less the die and cheap single-stage press you will need.

Doesn't fix them all but takes out the bulge in most. I'm no genius, the guys at Lee were the ones to guide me there. Using Redding TIC Sizing Die and was considering their "U" dies but they told me that a sizing die will never size as far down the case as their FC die.

At about $15 a die, you can't go wrong IMHO.