Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

625 replacement sight options?

Stradawhovious

Well, it happened. My 5" 625 was stolen!

By my girlfriend. :D

I really appreciate that she enjoys shooting, but we have run into a snag. We were at the range yesterday and a buddy of mine let her try his carry piece. When she was done, she spewed forth 6 words that could have ended our relationship right then and there.

She said "I think I want a Glock!"

Well, I swollowed my rage,counted to 10, and asked her why. She said she really like the sight picture, in that there were three "dots" to line up instead of the black "notch and blade" sight that is on there now. So my question is this.... Where can I find a selection of replacement sights both front and rear for the 625? I was thinking about getting a Hi-Viz front blade for both of them, but now i would be interested in getting a rear sight with "dots" for her. In addition to where I might be able to find replacements, do any of you have suggestions?

Edited for clarity.

Edited by Stradawhovious

I am running an XS 24/7 night sight on my JM 625. It is about .285 high and has a white contrasting ring around the tritium vial. I believe they make a pin in version as well. I find this is a good all around sight for indoor, low light and outside. It never seems to disappear. I'm running .155 rear gap and also took a 5/32" chainsaw file and U'd the rear sight out in order to fit the full "ball in the cup." This is giving me better results than my fiber optic which I tend to find invisible inside or in low light and too much in bright sunlight. Good Luck getting the gun back. I couldn't help but chuckle as I was recently unfaithful to my 625 at a local match with a glock and was rewarded with a time noticeably slower than the 625's run. Plastic bad....stainless good!

I'd rather see her learn to obtain a good sight picture, using the top of the front blade.

Lining up dots works OK up close, but it's a bad habit and will invariably cause problems as the shots get longer and tougher.

I'd rather see her learn to obtain a good sight picture, using the top of the front blade.

Yeah, so would I but I'm not sure I'm brave enough to tell her that. :lol:

I think part of the problem is that the black blade and the black rear sight wash out for her, and it's hard on her eyes. I know that the best option will be for her to use the sights on there now, but I think some contrast alone will be enough. If there are any other suggestions as to how to make the blade and notch style sight contrast better for her, or make her more comfortable with the black sights I'm all ears!

She has a genuine interest in shooting, and I would like to nuture that as much as possible. (makes it easer to justify the expense of new toys in the future. :D )

That, and if she comes home with a Glock it's over. (kidding..... )

Edited by Stradawhovious

If there are any other suggestions as to how to make the blade and notch style sight contrast better for her, or make her more comfortable with the black sights I'm all ears!

When I bought my 617, I wanted to keep the Patridge sights, but also wanted better contrast. I experimented a little by putting red tape on the face of the front sight and blue tape over the face of the rear blade, then used a razor to trim each perfectly. That was 4 years ago, and the tape's still there. The tape seems to contrast the front & rear sight well, which helps my shooting.

I experimented a bit with different colors, but red/blue seemed to work the best under most shooting conditions. You could probably find some bright colors that really show the contrast.

I experimented a bit with different colors, but red/blue seemed to work the best under most shooting conditions. You could probably find some bright colors that really show the contrast.

I have painted the front blade bright green, and that seemed to help a little bit, I will try some contrasting tape on the rear. Thanks!

As for eye exam, her last was <2 years ago. She's probably about due.

The sight doesn't have to be a plain black blade. A fiber-optic front sight can help with acquiring the focus faster, and may be what she needs to get her looking at the front sight. I use the FO front blades myself. However, your wife should still be counseled to use the top edge of the blade as the focus point.

I would stick with a plain black rear sight--anything that resembles "lining up dots" will encourage the shooter to use the "middle dot" as the aiming point, and then things start getting sloppy. Again, this works fine up close when the shooting is quick 'n' dirty, but falls apart when the shots get tougher.

I heard Glock is coming out with a revolver.

:sick: I hope it holds up better than the other plastic revolvers on the market!

post-24703-127489446406_thumb.jpg

:devil:

Thanks to all of you for your responses! I will be looking into some fiber optics for the front sight of both my 4" and 5" 625s, and will give those a try. (as soon as I can find them and figure out how to install them that is!) I would think it would help her, and I know I will like them.

• 1 year later...

Does anyone know were you can purchase tritium front sights for a 625 from performance center it is the insert front sight model type? I just purchased the solid SDM rear sights with U notch for rear sights . I will be shooting Smith & Wesson indoor shoot this Feb and need something to handle low and no light stages as well allow me to handle the lighted stages with some distance.

I heard Glock is coming out with a revolver.

:sick: I hope it holds up better than the other plastic revolvers on the market!

post-24703-127489446406_thumb.jpg

:devil:

Thanks to all of you for your responses! I will be looking into some fiber optics for the front sight of both my 4" and 5" 625s, and will give those a try. (as soon as I can find them and figure out how to install them that is!) I would think it would help her, and I know I will like them.

The last year i use this one on my two 625 s: http://www.lpasights.com/catalogTXT.html

I think that they help a lot especialy if you are over 45

they are sets of front and rear FO .I sugest them!!! ;)

Yeah, so would I but I'm not sure I'm brave enough to tell her that. :lol:

I think part of the problem is that the black blade and the black rear sight wash out for her, and it's hard on her eyes. I know that the best option will be for her to use the sights on there now, but I think some contrast alone will be enough. If there are any other suggestions as to how to make the blade and notch style sight contrast better for her, or make her more comfortable with the black sights I'm all ears!

She has a genuine interest in shooting, and I would like to nuture that as much as possible. (makes it easer to justify the expense of new toys in the future. :D )

That, and if she comes home with a Glock it's over. (kidding..... )

this might help

http://ww w.brightsights.com/index.shtml

I think part of the problem is that the black blade and the black rear sight wash out for her,

I sympathize. Opening up the rear notch can make a big improvement. Simple to do with a file and some cold blue. It markedly improves sight definition instead of the front/rear blurring together. Rear blades are cheap to replace.

Edited by Tom E