Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Setting up in a box...

Ron Ankeny

I guess we all know that target acquisition, shooting as soon as you get to a box, and shooting while you are leaving or preparing to leave are pretty darn important. I have been practicing movement from box to box this week and it seems like I might as well be walking on ice. OK, I am not that bad, but I have a way to go.

I was looking at Jerry Barnhart's Dry Fire tape this morning and he teaches to step across the box then bring the trailing leg in. In other words, if you approach a box from the left side (as you face the targets) he steps across the box  to the far side with his right leg first. When approaching from the right side he teaches to step to the far side of the box with the left leg first, then bring the right leg in.

OK, so I get Matt Burkett's book out and he teaches just the opposite. When Matt approaches a box from the left, he steps to the near side with his left leg first. When he approaches from the right, he steps to the near side with his right leg first.

I looked in THE BOOK, but Brian doesn't seem to make mention of his technique. I watched some films of past nationals with Barnhart, TGO, Matt, Voight, etc. and as near as I can tell most of them step into a box with which ever foot just happens to get there first, lol.

I am trying to develop good habits here and I really don't have a technique developed. I am wondering, am I making too much of this and does it really matter what I do as long as it is comfortable and natural?

It's not nearly important as how you get the gun up on target as you are entering the box.

IIRC, Voigt instructed us righties to place the right foot just outside the box, and everything else would fall into place.

It's usually too hard to choregograph these things down to the correct foot. Just don't jump in with both feet. Sneak in there like you were shooting on the move the whole way from the previous position.

I think Erik's right.

BTW, I thought Burkett teaches to step into the box with the outside foot first.....(running to a box on the left, stepping into that box with the right foot first)

This gives your body a chance to decelerate and stabilize for the shot.

I like to place my foot (either) as close to the outside of the box before entering as possible, then just step in. I find too much focus on getting the 'right' foot in makes many shooters 'lunge' into the box. Brake right up to the outside of the box then just step in with the gun up and ready to fire.

Moving left to right, I enter a box with my left foot first, on the inside edge of the box. I'm then setting up aiming as my right foot touches down, stabilizing my position. Vice-versa for right to left. I don't worry too much about foot placement if entering from another than a purely lateral direction.

be