Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Steel Master

ty34984

• 3 months later...

(Disclosure: Canadian)

I just bought a SteelMaster and had to do a few tuning items to get the gun to RUN. First off, the C More was not fastened securely and almost fell off. Made zeroing the pistol challenging. Second, the 10 round mags were next to impossible to load 10 rounds into, and then the spring tension was so great that the pistol was choking up -failing to return to battery, jamming empties sideways and other shenanigans. In the end I had to file and sand each mags feed lips, cut one coil from the mag springs, and shave the bottom of the followers. While I was at it, I blended the mag well so that mags don't hang up on the nice ledge the build in there. There appeared to be issues with the extractor not managing the cartridge very well so I started smoothing it, then remembered I had an Aftec from another project so that went in. Finally I looked at the sear/hammer MIM sear (sigh) did a quick clean-up on the sear and left the hammer alone.

It seems to be happy now and has real potential. Time to start load development. Anybody have any loads for the SteelMaster in 9x19 minor?

I just bought a SteelMaster and had to do a few tuning items to get the gun to RUN. First off, the C More was not fastened securely and almost fell off. Made zeroing the pistol challenging. Second, the 10 round mags were next to impossible to load 10 rounds into, and then the spring tension was so great that the pistol was choking up -failing to return to battery, jamming empties sideways and other shenanigans. In the end I had to file and sand each mags feed lips, cut one coil from the mag springs, and shave the bottom of the followers. While I was at it, I blended the mag well so that mags don't hang up on the nice ledge the build in there. There appeared to be issues with the extractor not managing the cartridge very well so I started smoothing it, then remembered I had an Aftec from another project so that went in. Finally I looked at the sear/hammer MIM sear (sigh) did a quick clean-up on the sear and left the hammer alone.

It seems to be happy now and has real potential. Time to start load development. Anybody have any loads for the SteelMaster in 9x19 minor?

You must have gotten the Canadian Export model with all the problems the government requires! :lol:

You must have gotten the Canadian Export model with all the problems the government requires! :lol:

:roflol::roflol:

Pat

I bought one a couple of years ago. It took me a while to work the kinks out also. If I had to do it again I'd get one of the super tuned packages.

That being said. I really like the gun. It no longer shoots minor and steel matches only. My wife is shooting USPSA and major with it now.

As soon as she goes back to limited, it is going to be my primary gun for USPSA. It is the best open gun I have. My other open guns are fine, the Steel Master

just really tracks nice and cycles fast. That is just a perfect fit for me right now.

I got mine about 3 months ago and love it! I've put about 4000 rounds through it so far with no issues. Do a search on YouTube and you can see it in action.

My Steelmaster is an enhanced package from Dawson Precision. I also had Dawson install ultra-light weight sear & disconnector along with a Doug Koenig hammer.

He offers the enhancement package by itself for $200.

"Enhancement Package is simply making a great pistol better. Dave Dawson checks each pistol top to bottom for fit, function and appearance . We setup the breech face, extractor, ejector, mag release and feed ramp the same way we would a DP custom built pistol. Next we install a DP sear spring and tune the action. Then the pistol is test fired for flawless function, accuracy and zeroed at 25 yards. Hey if you were buying a Mustang how cool would it be to have Shelby tune it up a little first."

I bought one a couple of years ago. It took me a while to work the kinks out also. If I had to do it again I'd get one of the super tuned packages.

That being said. I really like the gun. It no longer shoots minor and steel matches only. My wife is shooting USPSA and major with it now.

As soon as she goes back to limited, it is going to be my primary gun for USPSA. It is the best open gun I have. My other open guns are fine, the Steel Master

just really tracks nice and cycles fast. That is just a perfect fit for me right now.

I was curious as to what load you are running in your Steelmaster and if you changed the recoilmaster out for something else. My wife also has a Steelmaster which we are thinking of shooting major loads in. Thanks

I picked one up last year from Brazos and it has run with steel loads and factory white box. I paid the extra $150 to have Brazos do some "minor tuning". I use it for steel and have the 140mm mags. Only load about 12 rounds per mag, so no issues. I ended up changing to a Quinn 2 mount and changing the grip to a Millenium Custom gorilla grip tape grip. I got rid of the recoilmaster and run a 7 pound spring for my sub minor steel loads.

Seiichi

I was curious as to what load you are running in your Steelmaster and if you changed the recoilmaster out for something else. My wife also has a Steelmaster which we are thinking of shooting major loads in. Thanks

124gr Montana Gold jhp. 7.2gr Autocomp,and an 8 pound ISMI recoil spring. It has a Quinn II mount and a Quinn slide racker. I have a bud running the same set up but uses a heavy recoil master and 7.7grs of Autocomp, err his wife does. It really runs nice and fast.

I also bought a Dawson Enhanced Steel Master and I love it. I had to get the spacers for my STI mags and then that fixed the only problems I have had with it. When I ordered it from Dawson's, I asked if it would run both major and minor, they said with the enhanced package it would and it does. The only addition I had Dave do, besides the "Enhancement" package, was the addition of his slide racker. These are great guns and alot of fun to shoot.

This is my primary USPSA pistol now and my STI/Caspian super is the back-up.

Doug

As soon as she goes back to limited, it is going to be my primary gun for USPSA.

She's not going back to limited, I'll see to that. :devil:

That remains to be seen. I hope she'll keep shooting open BUT she is a women with an opinion.