Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SR 4756 VS A#7

yuthh

I run SR 4756 in my 9mm loads,it's very clean (and accurate) for me,even running 148 grain lead bullets,very little smoke with lead bullets,plus,4756 is a single base powder.I tried AA #7 many years back,in the early/mid 1980's but I don't recall how clean/dirty it was.

Edited by SA 1911 Loaded

The thing that makes AA#7 good is it puts out a lot of gas and it works old school comp guns very well. If you can't handle the chunky dirty the the next best thing is VV-N105 it also puts out a little more gas but has a tick more straight back 3N38 is also good in 38 Super. 4756 is cleaner than AA#7 but lots of people don't like it because it slings out during loading in 38 Super. As I recall my shooting with 4756 it just didn't shoot flat enough.

If your are talking 9 major the next best thing to AA#7 is Silhouette 7.7gr w./125 or 8.6 w/115. I've been working on 9 major loads for about 3 months and tried 7 different powders. Nothing shoots as well as AA#7 10gr/125 just don't like the slinging powder it fowls up the primer punch.

I have run about 30K rounds of AA#7 thru my gun with no issues, its a little cleaner at 10.5gr than at 10gr with a 125 but thats a 175pf. It actually works for my gun better, it has Bedell Titanium comp and going from 10.2 to 10.5 flattened it out and made it shoot softer.

I like the old school AA#7 with .38sc very much.Just want to try something with similar recoil felling but cleaner.Any reccomendation beside VV.?

Thanks

Yuth

• 3 weeks later...

Based on my experiments with AA#7, I can't imagine anything is much dirtier. AA#7 left so much crap in my chamber that the next round wouldn't go into full battery.

I resemble that remark,

really, back in the day when I shot AA7 ,

it was filthly!

To me at the time, when we went to WW540, it was like shooting VV350 today, nice and clean!

(Most know 540/ AKA HS-6 is pretty dirty!)

I used 4756 and thought it much cleaner than AA7

The thing that makes AA#7 good is it puts out a lot of gas and it works old school comp guns very well. If you can't handle the chunky dirty the the next best thing is VV-N105 it also puts out a little more gas but has a tick more straight back 3N38 is also good in 38 Super. 4756 is cleaner than AA#7 but lots of people don't like it because it slings out during loading in 38 Super. As I recall my shooting with 4756 it just didn't shoot flat enough.

If your are talking 9 major the next best thing to AA#7 is Silhouette 7.7gr w./125 or 8.6 w/115. I've been working on 9 major loads for about 3 months and tried 7 different powders. Nothing shoots as well as AA#7 10gr/125 just don't like the slinging powder it fowls up the primer punch.

I have run about 30K rounds of AA#7 thru my gun with no issues, its a little cleaner at 10.5gr than at 10gr with a 125 but thats a 175pf. It actually works for my gun better, it has Bedell Titanium comp and going from 10.2 to 10.5 flattened it out and made it shoot softer.

+1 I run the same Silhouette load in my Gans gun, but started using AA7, this year, at 10.2gr making 171PF. AA7 shoots softer and flatter than Silhouette at the expense of a bit more dirt in my gun. I have run up to 500 rounds of AA7 without a cleaning the gun and never had any problems. It might be dirtier, but it is working for me.

IMHO...If your guns tolerate the dirt, go with AA7....otherwise, Silhouette or Autocomp (thats for another thread) :cheers:

Edited by matt2ace

The big problem with the A#7 for me right now is the powder getting into the primer cup on the 550 and denting the primers all up. The Federal 100 SP's seem especially soft. Had some Wolf SP that did not seem to dent so easily but also had issues with them not going off. It, the #7, is a messy powder to boot. I am using some that is about 15 years old or more, wonder if the new stuff is the same or have they changed the recipe any? The Silhouette intrigues me but have not found any locally to buy.

earl's 2 center of the day.

I shot #7 for 10 yrs @ about 35,000 per year & never had my gun not work. It was dirty but I cleaned my gun after every use. I know it shot FLATER than anything else & that's all that mattered.

Benny - My gun looks like somebody puked burnt oatmeal in it when I shoot AA#7 but I love the way it shoots. As flat as N105 with less straight back recoil. I use it in 38 Super and 9 major albiet in 9 major you got a case full of powder. 4# of N105 or 8# of AA#7 about the same price, and a lot easier to get.

I shot #7 for 10 yrs @ about 35,000 per year & never had my gun not work. It was dirty but I cleaned my gun after every use. I know it shot FLATER than anything else & that's all that mattered.

Benny - My gun looks like somebody puked burnt oatmeal in it when I shoot AA#7 but I love the way it shoots. As flat as N105 with less straight back recoil. I use it in 38 Super and 9 major albiet in 9 major you got a case full of powder. 4# of N105 or 8# of AA#7 about the same price, and a lot easier to get.

What is your 9mm major load with AA#7 and also OAL?

Thanks

Funny you should say that... I made and shot some more AA#7 loads just to make sure what was happening. I still can't figure out how a powder grain that small can grow so big that it keeps a loaded round from going into full battery.

I made 7 shots in a row before I got an out of battery situation the other day. That's up from my all time low of 2 the first go 'round. I will be feeding the remaining AA#7 to my plants.

• 5 months later...

I just tried 4 powders yesterday in my 38s 5.5" with egw 6port comp I used v v n105 and v v 3n38 and IMR 4756 and autocomp all loaded with 115 Winchesters to a 170pf all seemed clean in my gun I shot a total of 300rds and gun is still clean enough to shoot a match.My 2 favorites were v v 3n38 and IMR 4756 they were so close in felt reciol and dot recovery I would call it a wash with those 2 in my gun. the autocomp felt recoil was good but dot movement was allot more than the others and the n105 did make the old comp work but felt recoil was noticeably more.After a couple of bill drills I noticed that I definitely shot faster and more accurate with v v 3n38 and IMR 4756 factor in price and availability looks like I will be ordering up a big jug of IMR4756. Mark :cheers:

post-26600-031107000 1290627198_thumb.jp

I just tried 4 powders yesterday in my 38s 5.5" with egw 6port comp I used v v n105 and v v 3n38 and IMR 4756 and autocomp all loaded with 115 Winchesters to a 170pf all seemed clean in my gun I shot a total of 300rds and gun is still clean enough to shoot a match.My 2 favorites were v v 3n38 and IMR 4756 they were so close in felt reciol and dot recovery I would call it a wash with those 2 in my gun. the autocomp felt recoil was good but dot movement was allot more than the others and the n105 did make the old comp work but felt recoil was noticeably more.After a couple of bill drills I noticed that I definitely shot faster and more accurate with v v 3n38 and IMR 4756 factor in price and availability looks like I will be ordering up a big jug of IMR4756. Mark :cheers:

I agree with 3n38 and 4756 being very close in 38SC. The downside to 4756 is big PF variations from lot to lot whereas 3N38 is quite stable. 4756 wins on cost savings. I just did not like #7 when I tested, but all guns and shooters are different.

• 1 month later...

I know that this topic is old now, but I used #7 way back when in both 9x21 (EAA, first using 147gr and later 124's) and .38 Super (124gr)...I think it was on Benny's recommendation. I'm going to get some and try it again when my current open-pistol powder supply gets low. I seem to recall it being very dirty at first, but then someone told me to tighten the crimping die some small amount...been too long to recall how much. For whatever reason, that seemed to make it much cleaner. Not N350 clean, but I don't ever recall having a malfunction due to powder residue in either pistol/caliber.

Something to experiment with anyway...I hope that helps someone trying out #7. Thank you for your time.