Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

230 RN lead bullets bulging case

genbrad

I recently started loading 230gr RN lead bullets from Oregon Trails. I noticed that the case bulged slightly where the bullet seated that I hadn't noticed with copper plated bullets. I've seen this before so I didn't take much notice, but I has an upside primer on one of them so I decided to test it with my XD 45. I loaded the round into a magazine (after removing the primer and powder) and chambered the round. It seemed just fine but when I tried to extract the round, the slide jammed up almost immediately. I racked the slide HARD and the round came out, striking the ceiling of my garage. I thought this isn't right so I went to my PD and used a bullet trap we have there (it's 3am here so no ranges open). I took some loaded rounds and tried the same thing. Every round had the same problem where it would lock up the slide when I racked. After about 4 tries with the same round, the problem seems to have gone away but I don't want to work loaded rounds through a firearm 4 times each. Does anyone have expierence with this? Am I seating the bullet too deep??? I checked my calipers and the lenght of the round is 1.275-1.277 (DEAD ON). Also do you think this would affect the gun when fired with regards to too high of pressure or something along those lines????

Please help (and I did a search but couldn't find anything similar)

Edited by genbrad

If you are bulging the case you are seating too deep. Back them out until this proplem goes away and you will have no more problems. Your measurements seem right on but all bullets are not the same length.

Also watch when you are seating the bullet that they are straight up and down. If you seat them at an angle they will bulge the case and ruin any chance for accuracy.

Bell your case mouth slightly more and make sure you are getting the bullets started straight.

Cast and Moly bullets are larger in diameter than Jacketed bullets. Use that caliper on them and see that this is true. Since its a 230gr Bullet is could be a 45 and a length of 1.275 sounds very long to me. I load my precison SWC's to 1.260 and RN's are 1.220. However when they are two long there is a problem getting into battery, but when they did get in they were hard to get out. Check the bullet and case when you remove them to see where it is contacting, this will help to figure out where the problem is.

In general for CAST or Moly bullets you need to bell the case more so that the Moly or lubricant is not cut by the rim. Next you need to Crimp the bullet more than with a Jacketed bullet, and this needs to be done with a taper crimp, not a roll crimp or Lee FCD.

You didn't say what happend in your drop check, did these drop in ok? What is the diameter of the Crimp part of te bullet?

Lastly you need to be aware of the profile of these bullets may be very different from the jacketed bullets you were using and seating needs to be changed to accomodate that. Some people call it the OGive but I'm not sure where that word came from.

Another thing to look for: Almost all 230 gr cast RN is very close in profile. They have a forward

driving band that will stick out past the case mouth just a bit if you load to 1.250-1.260 OAL.

If your gun has a short leade, the driving band will contact the rifling. Usually they shoot OK, but if

you try to rack out a live round it sticks, sometimes hard enough to pull the bullet and leave it in

the barrel! Solution (assuming you don't want to have the leade recut) is to seat the bullet just a bit

deeper to put the driving band flush with the case mouth. If you do seat deeper, back the powder off a bit

and work back up to your desired power factor.

Another thing to look for: Almost all 230 gr cast RN is very close in profile. They have a forward

driving band that will stick out past the case mouth just a bit if you load to 1.250-1.260 OAL.

If your gun has a short leade, the driving band will contact the rifling. Usually they shoot OK, but if

you try to rack out a live round it sticks, sometimes hard enough to pull the bullet and leave it in

the barrel! Solution (assuming you don't want to have the leade recut) is to seat the bullet just a bit

deeper to put the driving band flush with the case mouth. If you do seat deeper, back the powder off a bit

and work back up to your desired power factor.

This sounds alot like it could be your problem. If you pull your barrel, and chamber check them, you will know quick if this is the case. I have been down this road once. Chamber checking can often show you alot of things as to what really fits in your barrel as opposed to a guage, especially this type of issue. If that round isn't going all the way in, easily' without having to press it, it's too long.

Lead bullets bulging the case is quite normal. Mine are like that. As suggested it seems your OAL is too long for your chamber. I load 230 grain lead at 1.220-1.250. I also test drop one or two into the barrel to make sure they work.

bluestringer