Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Blaster

SVI4ME

Just need a frame to complete my new open gun. 5 inch slide cut down to commander length with a Schuemann Tribred barrel.

I use Vit 350 now at 8.0 with a Montana Gold 124 and Super Comp brass. Wanted to see what others shot with this type of setup. Want to see if I can shoot the same load with the new gun.

Rob

I am shooting a Dawsun minigun 2 (shortened slide) with a ported barrel. 9.0 grains of IMR 4756 with a 124 makes 172PF out of it. You might also try 7.5 grains of IMR 7625. I have a friend with a tribrid that is using that. Reload at your own risk.

Well I'm in the same boat as svi4me is.

I just got done with my sti commander lenght super gun.

I had some hs6 laying around and got a load off jeff maass's website then I cut it back just a little, so I loaded a couple hundred at 8.7 grns 1.2535 with 124 fmj's.

well they chrono out at 163.8 on avg.

the gun stays in the A zone.

So what do I look for in a load now? Do I want a slower powder? faster? lighter bullet?

as you can probily guess I hadn't ever fired an open gun before yesterday.

thanks in advance.

Bob

Bob,

I would bump it up a tenth or two and look for signs of over pressure. Your almost home with your load at 163 PF. If your brass is bloated after shooting or your primers flow then you have to back off and change powders.

Good Luck

Rob

PS When you work up a load start with 30 or 40 if you know your close. Couple hundred and you could work the gun but it's sorta wasted. You could use it at local matches though

HS6 is a little fast, but it can work. It might be a little harsh. You'll probably prefer a slower powder (HS7, AA#7, N350, 3N37, 3N38, etc.).

If you are just starting your learning curve with a foo-foo gun, the powder isn't going to hold you back. As has been said elsewhere, pick one and shoot.

I got a Limcat / .38 supercomp / 5 inch KKM barrel with no holes just a Turbo Comp.

Zero 115 JHP - 1.235 OAL / WSR primer / 8.6grns. IMR SR7625 / Starline Brass / 172 PF.

I recently tried the same load with Armscor brass and got a 178 PF and still no case pressure problems.

Good Luck

Jim