Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

870s - do they all eject shells weakly?

rc601962

I have a new 870. There is no sticking of the shell in the chamber after I fire it. However, the ejection strikes me as pretty weak. For the most part, the shells just dribble out when I VIOLENTLY VIOLENTLY work the action. Mine does this with low base, high base shells, buck, and slugs.

Is this normal for the 870?

I looked on youtube at videos of other peoples 870s. And, they were pretty much the same. The shells dribble out 1-3 inches from the receiver. Every once in a while, one shell will be ejected forceably.

I have not ever noticed how far empties go out of the ejection port my 870s. I have never had a problem with cases failing to eject either. All of my 870s are relatively old, the newest one was made in the mid 70s. I have seen a couple of people recently with new 870s that had problems with fired cases sticking in the chamber though.

Hurley

I have a new 870. There is no sticking of the shell in the chamber after I fire it. However, the ejection strikes me as pretty weak. For the most part, the shells just dribble out when I VIOLENTLY VIOLENTLY work the action. Mine does this with low base, high base shells, buck, and slugs.

I looked on youtube at videos of other peoples 870s. And, they were pretty much the same. The shells dribble out 1-3 inches from the receiver. Every once in a while, one shell will be ejected forceably.

As long as they are coming out I don't think there is a issue. Also on a 870 I don't think it will matter on what load you use, your making the shells come out not the recoil or gas.

Remington 870s have that little springy ejector. It's not the most efficient one on the planet. It doesn't have a very sharp shelf and, being somewhat springy, the shellhead probably doesn't hit it as hard as a Mossberg would with its solid ejector.

I just cycled some loaded shells in the gun. It launches them 5 feet away.

I emptied the shot from a bird load. Just the plastic cup and powder was in the shell. It sent the semi empty shell about 3 feet away.

Fired shells don't do as well. They vary. They go 1 foot away sometimes. Other times they only go an inch away.

i used some cheap Winchester field loads the other day (wal-mart black box) i had to do malfunction drills on 3 of the 5 I shot... the extractor ended up cutting into the so called brass... I've never had an 870 not eject them far.. is there any damage on the case of the ones your kicking out?

NO ! They are not designed to work that way !

I and a lot of other people ( do a Google Search ) have the exact same problem. I bought a new late 2009 Mfr. 870 and the fired cases of 4 differient brands of ammo dribble off the ejection port or hang up in it.

I`ve had the gun to a very compentent smith who disassembled the gun, tuned and checked the extractor and ejector spring and polished the chamber. Same problem. I have a 6 year old 870 Police, it throws the cases 5 feet right rear, a did my older 870`s and a new Mossburg 590.

Don`t let anyone tell you it`s YOU and "Rack it Like you Got A Pair..!" The "new" Remington 870`s are either out of Spec. or have bad parts or both. They are junk IMO.