Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What are your training "styles"?

lugnut

I'm sure this has been covered but God knows I have no idea how to search for this... so...

How do you train to improve your shooting? To help you break new barriers? I'm not talking about specific drills at all... just in general- HOW do you train to help you gets faster AND more accurate?

I know some people say just shoot all A's and the speed with come. Some say let your sights be your speedometer. But that really doesn't explain how it helps you get better. Now I realize that dry firing can help improve/speed up indexing, etc but I'm looking for more than that.

I think what works for me during practice is to start a given drill- whatever it is- at a conservative speed. Progressive to a speed I'd do at a match. And then push harder till the wheels come off so to speak (NEVER UNSAFE). Then back it down a bit to shoot it more clean. Inevitably the last runs usually seem to be pretty good and often faster and cleaner than the other runs. I feel really pushing "shows" you what a bad sight picture is, how much a poor stance/grip can affect you, etc. It also seems to tell me that I can see more and I feel that even though my shots aren't as good- it helps speed up my mind- helps me see more in less time. Does this make sense? Almost like weight lifting or work outs... you can't get stronger if you don't push to your limits on occasion.

I know some people that do this... but some really don't like it. Thoughts? Anything else?

Edited by lugnut

I am on board with your style of training. Get going.. then push till you cant do it, then do it solid.

The one thing I would add is that a lot can be learned about your actual capabilities by trying to have a "push" run as your first run of the day. Practicing doing the walkthrough on it and the whole thing.

you can't get stronger if you don't push to your limits on occasion.

+1,000,000!! Every now and then I have tried this out at a Level 1 match also (and not just at the practice sessions).

It is really interesting to see what your mind is capable of achieving when you push yourself past your comfort zone.

I am on board with your style of training. Get going.. then push till you cant do it, then do it solid.

The one thing I would add is that a lot can be learned about your actual capabilities by trying to have a "push" run as your first run of the day. Practicing doing the walkthrough on it and the whole thing.

I like that idea of pushing on the first run of the day... certainly at a practice or local match for now. This is an area I really need to work on. Starting "slow" in a 4 or 5 stage match will hurt you for sure... and it has for me.... even when the first stage is a low point stage. A few points often is the difference between winning and the first loser.

Thanks for the confirmation.

I started asking myself these questions a few years ago. I have spent a great deal to time talking with many GMs. Here is what I have been able to glean that works for me:

Accuracy is critical

Prevention of training scars is most important part of any training program

In corporate moving out of your comfort zone to see improvement

Never ever a training session on a less than perfect sequence of events. (If you pushed speed and accuracy fell, then your last 10 shots should be focused on accuracy)

Accuracy is critical

Learn to do it right, then push the speed

Now I am almost 60, and did not start until I was fifty. But the above is what help me go from C to B. And be a solid B, I may not be as fast as I was at 50, but I really try to do everything right. Efficiency is key.

Something that has made a difference in my practice is adequately preparing for each drill. I've already shot my groups, stretched, dryfired(ten minutes of the basics/what I would do at a match) and set up the drill. I go over what I'm going to learn and improve on with this drill, specific points to be aware of etc. If I've done is before I review my notes. I'll dryfire the drill several times and mentally rehearse it as well. I'm trying to bring the same level of alertness/intensity to the drill as I would a stage in a match. This is based off of conversations with Max, Travis and Mike Seeklander.

I think it's easy to just hit the button again and not process what just happened, good or bad. I agree with the philosophy of pushing till the wheels fall off and then backing off slightly. I'll typically run a drill three to five times and then score the targets/record the times(thank you CED). Then analyze the results and see what direction I need to go. 90 percent of the points? Let's accept less of a sight picture and go faster. Less than 90? Is there a specific shot or target that I'm having a problem with or do I need to get a more refined sight picture across the board? Are there other skills I'm losing time on? Identify the issue and correct it most soonest.

If you shoot an El Pres in 8 sec over and over, all you're practicing to do is shoot it in 8 sec. If you can make yourself push, breakthroughs will be forthcoming.

GB

Everyone says push, push, push, while I agree, there is one thing else that will help that hasn't been said, supprisingly.

Evaluate all your skills, give them a grade from 1-10, a 10 being you are the best at that skill set. ex drawing or reloads

make your list and grade everything, take the lowest grades and practice those till you can bring them up. you will see your biggest % gains going this route. for example if you are a 4 at week hand shooting see if you can bring that grade up to a 7 or 8, esentially you just brought that skill set up 4points

Lets say your draw is an 8, why put as much emphasis on that working on that skill set, so you bring it up to a 9, you gained 4 points on your week hand shooting. so in essesence the whole idea forces you to work on your weaknesses,as opposed to practicing what you are already good at.

Thats just an example, and probably the one thing that sticks out in my mind out of Saul Kirch's thinking practical shooting.

good Luck