Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What is wrong with the M&P Pro 9 for USPSA production divison?

Philo_Beddoe

To me the whole "do not put in carry guns" turns me off of appex. I don't want anything on my gun that would make it a liablity should I choose to use it for self defense or carry.

I got a scary light tirgger on my Kimber. I don't mess with that gun loaded at all unless I'm in the starters box.

Why would you have a trigger like that? If it's not safe-it's not safe. In the box or out. Unsafe triggers have no place anywhere.

Hey hope no one minds me jumping into this thread with a kinda-related question. If you can't get the Pro (due to sub-5lb trigger), and AFAIK trigger mods are illegal (talking IPSC Production here>International rules) does the 9L grittier trigger improve sufficiently with a hell of a lot of rounds through it?

Complete and utter newb to ownership here; been shooting my club's USP with its horrendusly large (to me) grip for about a year, and the MP simply fits. Just on the point of buying my first firearm...and yes it has to be in Australia, doesn't it? Which is a PITA for many reasons :rolleyes:

with some very light polishing that trigger improves tremendously, wouldn't worry about it being considered a trigger job per say, more like accelerated normal wear. my production gun which is a pro with some easy trigger work is breaking around 1.5 lbs without changing springs or a new sear. all i attribute that to is a kick ass gun smith and burwell's guide:)

Hey hope no one minds me jumping into this thread with a kinda-related question. If you can't get the Pro (due to sub-5lb trigger), and AFAIK trigger mods are illegal (talking IPSC Production here>International rules) does the 9L grittier trigger improve sufficiently with a hell of a lot of rounds through it?

Complete and utter newb to ownership here; been shooting my club's USP with its horrendusly large (to me) grip for about a year, and the MP simply fits. Just on the point of buying my first firearm...and yes it has to be in Australia, doesn't it? Which is a PITA for many reasons :rolleyes:

with some very light polishing that trigger improves tremendously, wouldn't worry about it being considered a trigger job per say, more like accelerated normal wear. my production gun which is a pro with some easy trigger work is breaking around 1.5 lbs without changing springs or a new sear. all i attribute that to is a kick ass gun smith and burwell's guide:)

Many thanks for the reply, shasta.

Good to know that simple polishing isn't restricted then - looked all through the documentation and nothing was clear on that. I know that outside the US, IPSC rules are a bit more stringent...so as long as you don't mess with the trigger weight. 'Accelerated wear', I like the sound of that :cheers:

Good to know that simple polishing isn't restricted then - looked all through the documentation and nothing was clear on that. I know that outside the US, IPSC rules are a bit more stringent...so as long as you don't mess with the trigger weight. 'Accelerated wear', I like the sound of that :cheers:

i would def. still check with a local range officer for a clarification but i would def think it would fall into one of those "gray" areas.

i would def. still check with a local range officer for a clarification but i would def think it would fall into one of those "gray" areas.

Will do! Really ought to be used to these kinds of 'grey areas' in this country by now...I also notice the Production Division list (dated 5 Apr 2010) in fact states the Pro as being compliant, yet it's rated sub-5lb?

IPSC Production list

S&W

39, 59, 410, 439, 459, 539, 659, 669, 908, 910, 1006, 1066, 3913, 3913L, 3913TSW, 3914, 3953, 3953STSW, 4006, 4043, 4046, 4013TSW, 4053TSW, 4513TSW, 4553TSW, 457, 4506, 4566, 4586, 5904, 5906, 5946, 6906, 6926, 6946

SW99, M&P9, M&P9 Pro, M&P9L, M&P357, M&P40, M&P45

(Any DAO or DA/SA revolver with a barrel length of up to 5" is approved)

Argh, I don't know :rolleyes:

Edit: link didn't work http://www.ipsc.org/proddiv.php

Edited by zhuk

I bought my 9L about a year ago just because it was available and the Pro wasn't at the time. I have more than a few thousand rounds through it by now with zero malfunctions or jams whatsoever. The trigger was good right out of the box and has improved noticeably since I first started shooting it. I've grown accustomed to the sights, white dots and all. So. No mods or changes, I really like this gun and don't plan on modding it. What's weird is, I'm normally a tinkerer. I like this one the way it is...stock.

To me the whole "do not put in carry guns" turns me off of appex. I don't want anything on my gun that would make it a liablity should I choose to use it for self defense or carry.

I got a scary light tirgger on my Kimber. I don't mess with that gun loaded at all unless I'm in the starters box.

I guess I am missing something on your comment on the Apex parts considering they have a carry/service kit and a competition only kit. True they don't recommend putting the competition only kit in a carry gun because it brings the trigger pull down around 2.5lbs.

I bought my 9L about a year ago just because it was available and the Pro wasn't at the time. I have more than a few thousand rounds through it by now with zero malfunctions or jams whatsoever. The trigger was good right out of the box and has improved noticeably since I first started shooting it. I've grown accustomed to the sights, white dots and all. So. No mods or changes, I really like this gun and don't plan on modding it. What's weird is, I'm normally a tinkerer. I like this one the way it is...stock.

Interesting. I went to a local comp here last weekend which featured some of the best shooters in the country, and one guy had a stock 9L (albeit with blacked out rear dots), even though pretty much everyone else there was using fibre optic front sights. He said that they don't work for him personally, he feels that the coloured fibre distracts from getting a clear sight picture in relation to the rear sights. I've never used one so the decision is a bit confusing.

According to the importer here, he can get the Pro's trigger 'beefed up' to the regulation 5lbs, so I just have to choose betwen the two...but from what you say it will be all good with the 9L anyway. Choices, choices!

Edited by zhuk

• 3 months later...

I bought the Pro not knowing there was any difference in the models. I did not care for the rear sight and after a few trips to the range I ordered the Dawson front sight and the adjustable rear sight. After sighting the gun in and shooting it a bit, I'm very pleased. When shooting plates, it seems that you are just pointing and shooting...then the plate falls. I'm seeing the sights, but it is not like you are taking aim, they are just there.

I have done nothing to the trigger and it feels better to me than my Glocks (I mostly shoot 2011's and 1911's) I would like the trigger lighter, however, it probably wouldn't make much difference in my shooting.