Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

22" Rem 1100 ammo

Mike Dame

Took the new toy to the range today, turns out it won't run on the walmart value packs nor the esate target loads from cabelas. What are you guys running? or what have you done to make it run on lighter loads?

What value packs did you try. Federal seems to run the best of the 3 and Winchester the worst. Might be a dumb question but have you cleaned it and assembled the gas rings properly? If it is brand new, a breakin of a couple boxes of heavy loads helps as does an initial cleaning

Definately clean all the grease out if it's new. Lube anything that moves in the reciever, make sure the gas rings are correctly oriented and lightly lube the mag tube. It should run with light target loads.

You didn't say if it was short stroking or not chambering. Winchester Universal has the worst crimps on a shotshell, they won't always drop into the chamber of my Browning 325.

Edited by Dan Sierpina

I went through the same problem and found out that any AAs will work but that gets expensive. The value packs are usually only 3 dram so they are underpowered. Your 1100 probably has the barrel with the port size to shoot 3 1/4 dram and up. Now I buy the federal or Winchester game loads for competition, Walmart sells them for $4.67 a box and they are 3 1/4 dram but only 1 oz of shot. That being said I always use a modified choke and it never has a problem knocking down heavy steel at any match yet.

Definately clean all the grease out if it's new. Lube anything that moves in the reciever, make sure the gas rings are correctly oriented and lightly lube the mag tube. It should run with light target loads.

You didn't say if it was short stroking or not chambering. Winchester Universal has the worst crimps on a shotshell, they won't always drop into the chamber of my Browning 325.

was watching the tac latch during firing, hardly moved back at all. Its brand new out of the box, sprayed it with remoil and went to try it out.

Heres what I used

Federal Field & Range 3 dram eq 1200fps- nogo

Estate 3-14 dram eq 1255fps- nogo

Winchester superx high velcoity slugs- go

ranger low recoil slugs- nogo

every time it didn't cycle, the bolt only moved back a tiny bit.

I'll put some heavier loads thru it in a day or 2clean it and try again.

Thanks for the advice

If you get frustrated, contact Arwen Ace (Casey) on the other place. He's damned good at getting Remington's to run slick.

had me confused for a second wondering what "the other place" was :blink: then I saw your name :cheers:

i put an easy loader on mine one day. went to shoot it and it wouldn't cycle. spent three days after work trying to find out what changed. actually took the trigger assembly from my old 1100 that i new worked and transplanted into my 22" tactical. it wouldn't work either. finally realized i had two different boxes of shells. every 1100 i've seen would shoot anything but these tacticals need the higher velocities to run 100%.

took it apart, and noticed that the piston seal was on the wrong side of the barrel seal. piston was on the muzzle side of the barrel seal contary to the manual. too late to test fire now :angry:

I wonder if the gas ports are smaller on the Tacticals compared to the other 1100's?

:blink: Don't know how the piston wound up on the wrong side of the seal but thats what the problem was. Now it runs like a raped ape on the value packs :D

Thanks guys, now i just need to find away to jusitfy buying an Xrail :huh: