Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Minor VS. Major Scoring

In USPSA Single Stack please explain to me the difference in scoring between major and minor.

I understand the "hardware" and ammo issues.

Thanks

Mark

1 - You can load no more than 8 in the mag if you want to shoot Major ... Up to 10 if you're willing to shoot minor.

2 - Scoring ... MAJOR: A=5, B=4, C=4, D=2 ... minor: A=5, B=3, C=3, D=1

Hence, if you want greater than 10 (make that 8 ... sorry, fumble fingers!) round capacity in SS you sacrifice some points for shots that are not Alphas.

Does that answer your question?

Edited by Schutzenmeister

In USPSA Single Stack please explain to me the difference in scoring between major and minor.

I understand the "hardware" and ammo issues.

Thanks

Mark

1 - You can load no more than 8 in the mag if you want to shoot Major ... Up to 10 if you're willing to shoot minor.

2 - Scoring ... MAJOR: A=5, B=4, C=4, D=2 ... minor: A=5, B=3, C=3, D=1

Hence, if you want greater than 10 round capacity in SS you sacrifice some points for shots that are not Alphas.

Does that answer your question?

Isn't it Major: A=5 B=4 C=3 D=2 Minor: A=5 B=3 C=2 D=1 ??

Nope - "B" and "C" hits are the same point value...

Edited by Xfactor

One other way to illustrate the net result of the point differential on those charlies and deltas:

Recent major match. Friend goes minor at the chrono instead of major as planned.

Falls from approximately 85th overall to approximately 120th out of nearly 300.

Exact placement changed to protect the not so innocent.

One other way to illustrate the net result of the point differential on those charlies and deltas:

Recent major match. Friend goes minor at the chrono instead of major as planned.

Falls from approximately 85th overall to approximately 120th out of nearly 300.

Exact placement changed to protect the not so innocent.

Another example might be Lisa Munson a few years back at the Nationals ... She went minor just prior to her last stage of the match. Didn't seem to matter - She still took top Lady. It depends on how many A's you shoot and how fast!!!

It depends on how many A's you shoot and how fast!
!!

I agree. Taran Butler managed to end up second or third at the Single Stack Classic a few years back after "going" minor. He only beat about 300 shooters :cheers:

And that was with a gun that held 8 rounds and barely went minor. I'm talking about a 130PF gun with 10+1 rounds.

I'm not going to win a HOA... I just thought it would be fun to try since my 9 mm is so much easier for me to shoot. I just need to bare down on the As.

• 10 months later...

i think shooting minor can be great while your ramping up. cheaper for one and you almost end up forcing yourself to get as many A's as possible since C's and D's dont cut it.

You can be competitive enough with minor in local matches and still have a good time.

I see some open shooters just literally hosing the stage, Cs/Ds/Mikes everywhere, I like shooting for A's.

It depends on how many A's you shoot and how fast!
!!

I agree. Taran Butler managed to end up second or third at the Single Stack Classic a few years back after "going" minor. He only beat about 300 shooters :cheers:

And that was with a gun that held 8 rounds and barely went minor. I'm talking about a 130PF gun with 10+1 rounds.

I'm not going to win a HOA... I just thought it would be fun to try since my 9 mm is so much easier for me to shoot. I just need to bare down on the As.

My teammate started shooting SS minor 9 because he had one for his son and liked it so much, he's stuck with it. Just took 3rd overall at AL State and missed second by less than two match points. He was third overall at FL Open as well. The 10 rounds vs. 8 can make a big difference. Not bad considering moving from limited to only shooting SS for about 5 mos.

You can discuss the major vs. minor scoring all you care to - if the shooting is there - it can definitely make a difference in SS

Edited by aztecdriver