Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FFL Transfers #3

I guess this'll be the right area to put this?? :ph34r:

Ok, So I've never sold a handgun online (only face to face at a gun show and to a family friend). What all is involved? Do I have to have an FFL ship it for me? What about getting the buyer's FFL info. Do they just give me the shop's name and I call them and let them know whats going on or what? For all those who have sold a gun on here or any other forum, what kind of hoops do i need to jump through? I have a Springfield XD45c that I don.t shoot or carry anymore and I could put the money to better use towards a new gun or progressive press or something else fun.

There is a gun show locally in my area this weekend so i may just take it there, but either way I would like to know.

Thanks!!!

Obviously the first step is to have a person agree to buy the gun per your description and info. It will be the buyers responsibility to arrange for an FFL on his end to receive the gun. The receiving FFL will send you a current copy of his FFL license and after you receive payment you ship the gun ONLY to the address on the FFL license sheet you received. You can verify the validity of the FFL and address by checking with the BATF online or calling. The receiving FFL should tell you whether or not he will accept the gun from you or if he requires that it be sent by an FFL on your end. Some do and some don't. If he requires an FFL ship to him be sure and include the charge by the FFL on your end in the price along with the shipping cost if you want. You get the payment first, the gun then gets shipped and the deal is done. Be SURE that you and the buyer agree on every cost and detail including returning the gun to you if the buyer does not want it for any reason you agree to. This will include return shipping and any FFL charges to get the gun back to you. Also be sure to keep the copy of the FFL you receive if you need to prove where you sent the gun to. The receiving FFL will make sure that the receiving party can pass the background check before turning the gun over to the buyer.

Sounds complicated but not really so.

CYa,

Pat

+1 on what Pat said. Also make sure you send a copy of your drivers license to the FFL you're shipping the gun to so he has something to record in his log book on where he received the firearm from.

thanks for the info. Ill look around my area to find an FFL who can ship it for me rather cheaply if i need to do so. it may not be an issue if i go to the local gunshow this weekend anyway.