Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What magazine problem

Foxbat

A weak spring or feed lips too wide come to mind. I don't think you can really come up with a list of "if A, then B" when it comes to mags....everybody is really guessing a little if they don't have ultra high speed video to show what's happening. R,

FoxBat - When you have several mags and one does not work, and that is why we number them so we can track which one ruined our day. Take the good and the bad apart and compare how the follower sits ar they both canted the same up angle in front slighly canted right the same, is the spring length the same. If the spring is 1/2" shorter or more than one coil then try a new spring.

If both appear to be identical then swap the guts and see if the problem moves. If it stays with the same mag then its time to examine the body of the mag. I've never had an issue with a mag body, but then I keep them out from under the truck.

All of this asumes that when it hits the dirt you clean it and it is clean, and that you have done due dillagence to determine it is in fact mag #2 that is the culprit. 90% of all feed issues I see are ammo related, except for newbs that don't even know the mag comes apart. A friend's gun is at Benny's and let me tell you the guy knows his stuff, the gun jams once in a major match, I'm betting its that one round that was a little bit out of the guage and he let his quality down and threw it in the wrong pile, should go to the practice pile. 299 feed perfect 1 doesn't go figure.

The magazine is clean, I clean them regularly, especially before the match. This was one of the 170 mags, I use it often and of course the problem had to happen during the match - never happened in practice. The spring is under suspicion, of course, I have a replacement, but this one is not too old at all.

In my practice weak spring usually results in the round stuck low on the feed ramp, this one looks strange to me.

Hello: What number round was it? First? Last? Middle? Can be different things going on here with the mag or pistol? Let use know and we will try to figure it out or at least try to steer you in the right direction. Thanks, Eric

Measure the feed lips while you're at it. I have a couple mags that I shoot indoors every other week so they are dropped on a concrete floor a bunch. The constant hammering had the feed lips spread out to .385" and these are 9 Major mags. Should be .355 to .360" according to STI. They were so spread out they weren't controlling the top round properly and would allow it to release too soon. My gun had run 100% for 5,000 rounds and then one jam. I knew it wasn't the ammo, every single round that goes in my Open guns goes through a L.E. Wilson case gauge and if it doesn't fall in and fall out it goes in the scrap/practice pile. Mine jammed on about the third shot. What I found was that the slam bang affair that a 1911 pattern gun is caused a round to basically get pushed up through the feed lips when it wasn't supposed to. I eliminated that mag from my rotation and easily put another 1,500 flawless rounds through the gun.