Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

front sight size?

I was planning on buying a adj. rear sight from Dawson for my Kimber Classic Custom. The gun has fixed sights at this time. I also wanted to add a Dawson F/O front. The Dawson rear needs a .180 tall sight but I do not know how wide I should order the sight. Dawson offers a .090, .100 and .125.

Has anyone used this set up that could tell me what size might be better?

With a .125 notch, I'd stick with the .100... still plenty of daylight on either side of the post in the sight picture, but not so much that you lose precision. (I remember reading BE recommend that the front sight take up about 1/3 of the rear sight notch in your sight picture.)

As for the f/o color, I like red. If you shoot on a grass surface, or with green trees as a back drop, green f/o may get washed out.

I also went with the .100 in Red. I like green on rear sights but not front sights, I don't care what part of the color spectrum they are :) A friend of mine in my club swears by the green front since he was so used to shooting open with a red dot, he kept forgetting about the rear sights and kept pulling the trigger...ooppps....:)

• 1 month later...

I would choose the Red .090. I recently got rid of a .090 plain black sight, and replaced it with a .070 Fiber Optic Front Sight from Manny Brag. Even with a .110 rear sight I like this setup alot! Thin, sharp, and uber-bright red dot! :cheers:

I would choose the Red .090. I recently got rid of a .090 plain black sight, and replaced it with a .070 Fiber Optic Front Sight from Manny Brag. Even with a .110 rear sight I like this setup alot! Thin, sharp, and uber-bright red dot! :cheers:

What! Chris you went back to a F/O?! :surprise:

I use a .100 wide front but recently blacked it out because I was getting lazy with the red fiber.

Edited by bkeeler

What size are your sights that you have now, or what are they?

Kimber night sights were on it. I went with the .100 and put the set on just prior to Area 5. I'm glad I switched, the night sights were three dot and I had a hard time finding the center dot while shooting quickly.