Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rifle/Carbine SOTM

If you don't mind me asking, what is your philosophy for SOTM? That is a very broad and general question that probably has as many variations for answers. During the classes, that I have taken SOTM was practiced at distances from 10-15 yards in forward and lateral movement. Some forward and backward movement was done 50yds on in. Is practice at distances greater than 15yds beneficial?

A little history about myself:

1) Three USPSA matches under my belt - that's it.

2) I'm biased around the "tactical" training/practice side of things.

3) I realize, appreciate and understand the impact that the practical shooting community has provided the "tactical" community.

4) 3-gunners have something that I could learn from.

Just trying to become a more capable shooter.

Ha! I thought it was some new tactical shooting trick. If you can shoot on the move your going to be faster in uspsa and 3 gun, period. Watch videos of Daniel Horner shooting while moving. What he does would feel like running to me.

Edited by jtischauser

Shooting on the move shaves time off your run, so most accomplished practical shooters have it in their toolbox. It works well at close range (e.g. IPSC Metric target inside 15yds with pistol or 25yds with a long gun), but as range increases and target size shrinks, the benefits of stopping for the shot start to outweight the small time saving. You have to get out and practice and/or shoot matches to really understand what YOUR capabilities are in any give situation.

Remember, though, that what we competitors call "shooting on the move" might be quite different to your tactical definition... our goal is to save time by shooting while moving from one location to another, but typically this means we are moving a good deal slower than we might be if somebody was shooting at us :roflol: .

Edited by StealthyBlagga

our goal is to save time by shooting while moving from one location to another, but typically this means we are moving a good deal slower than we might be if somebody was shooting at us :roflol: .

+1

That's exactly what I was thinking. If I am not moving during a course of fire I feel like I am doing something wrong. The best shooters are almost always moving even if that movement is simply just leaning to get out of a shooting position faster.

One key element to a "real world" tactical situation:

You can only move as fast as you can shoot accurately.

Too many liabilities in the real world to be doing a lot of

"Running and Gunning" the way we do at a match.

At my skill level, for rifle and shotgun... I generally don't favor it. With a long gun I prefer picking my spots. The only time I SOTM is if the targets are really close and I have to get somewhere (another position/area) to finish the stage.

If you are an advanced shooter I think it is a way to go.

Thanks for the input. I appreciate them.

Looks like the appropriate answer is if you have the opportunity and ability, then take the shot while moving.

I'm not on here to say "tactical" this and "tactical" that. Just looking for insight to improve my ability and capability.

It all really depends on distance to the targets in question. After years of playing competative paintball and shooting a lane on the break (Shooting a stream of paintballs at a spot you know an opponent has to run through while at the same time moving to cover), you simply learn to do the duck walk, kind of a crouch with knee's bent, walking very deliberately with your heels touching the ground first and rolling the rest of your foot forward, making the most effort to keep your upper body as stable as possible. This translated over to competative shooting very easily, but even with paintballs (I couldn't imagine bullets), when someone is shooting back, any plan or "graceful" movements go out the window real quick.

I've found that practicing this in particular (SOTM) w/a 22 conversion kit on steel plates @ 25-50 yds helps alot to stay in top form and won't waste a bunch of expensive 5.56 ammo.

To the OP...

Check out the vids on YouTube. They are a great resource. The recent BRM3G match has great vids.

J Wong put up a bunch of video. If you take a look at his run on stage 6:

- he picks his spots

- he only SOTM on the very close targets

You can contrast this with a run that is vauge in picking spots and SOTM on (some) targets that are relatively far:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkWcwEYGQac&playnext_from=TL&videos=4zHkdIjHT24

And there are different levels of "picking your spot":

Constrast a great shooter:

http://www.youtube.com/user/wongjg#p/u/10/Og_uBzgYJPo

From the very best:

- notice that Taran's feet is not shuffling when he is breaking his shots.

- the spots that he chose require less movement (and greater certainty).

Also note that the scoring system plays a huge factor. The BRM3G uses Horner scoring. If that match had used the standard IMGA time plus I would think these guys would have SOTM'ed more.

And I'm not saying that SOTM with a longgun isn't all that. I've had the pleasure of squading with AMU shooters at a match and those guys (Horner and Johnson) are amazingly effective in using SOTM with the long gun. But how many of us have their talent, dedication and resources?