Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What ammo are you running for your Saiga?

Aldrin

I have shot with several people in the last few weeks who were jamming, including 2 with Saigas. All were running cheap aluminum base shells. All quit having problems after switching to brass base shells. Possibly the aluminum expands more as even Remington pumps were having problems ejecting. Not everyone has this problem, however I would try both to make sure your gun will run what you want to feed it. Most people don't have problems with the Remington Heavy Dove loads. Just my .02.

DO NOT use aluminum based shells, if you want the Saiga to run reliably. I know that Tromix specifically will not even look at a gun that is unreliable if you use Winchester bulk pack from Walmart. Federal bulk pack is brass based and runs fine in mine. Mine tends to prefer slightly hotter loads, but it can cycle with anything 3 dram+. I load my own, using 1-1/8oz of #6 and load it to 1230fps or so and Win AA hulls.

I run Federal Bulk Pack and Wolf Slugs most of the time..

But you should tune the gun so it will run everything...Mine has been 100% after I throated it and Bolt Polish and make sure you have 4 unblocked gas ports if 21 inch or shorter barrel with stock gas system. And you can run a 1911 recoil spring for the light loads in place of the front recoil spring

I run Federal Bulk Pack and Wolf Slugs most of the time..

But you should tune the gun so it will run everything...Mine has been 100% after I throated it and Bolt Polish and make sure you have 4 unblocked gas ports if 21 inch or shorter barrel with stock gas system. And you can run a 1911 recoil spring for the light loads in place of the front recoil spring

What # 1911 recoil spring are you using?

So far mine has run everything that I have put in it. It does however require a shell with a rigid crimp. Test the shell's in question before you buy them by giving the crimp end a stout squeeze. If it deforms easily it is more likely to cause a few malfs as the crimp will hang up when feeding.

Feed mine the same stuff as my Benelli: Remington sure shot heavy dove and Winchester WinLite slugs. It does need to be a shell with a good crimp to it and be fairly robust in construction, i.e.: rigid plastic and not the softer shells. The Saiga is a fairly rough action with some rather sharp edges that will gouge a softer shell where-as a harder walled shell will slide on through. Save your cheap shells for practice. Bring out some good stuff when you're paying to shoot.

Aldrin,

We have good luck with almost any Reminton shell, the Wolf slug is a little soft and deforms in both my Tactical and Open R and R Saigas, but it loves the Fiochii, Winchester and Estate too. I have mine to run 3 1/4 Dram for the Open and of course lighter loads for the tactical Saiga. Neither like the Rio shells:-(

Hope this helps.

RLTW,

Scott

PS: I run a 13 pound 1911 spring in both guns.

Edited by busyhawk

My Saiga will run any ammo I feed it...but I only do that for practice because stuff happens.

At a match I've used the Remmy Gun Clubs, and the Remmington STS...light target and light handicap.

For slugs I use the Winchester 1 oz. WinLite and/or the Rangers. :wub: