Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bed Springs

Sarge

I came across an old fashioned set of bed springs today and just could not stop trying to think of a way to use them in a stage. They are old school coil springs wired together. Just bare metal with no fabric.

I am thinking of using them similar to a shakey bridge by laying them on the ground a putting a sheet of plywood on top. I messed with them in the driveway for a while and it seems this would work. Depending on the size of the plywood the platform varies from really wobbly to pretty solid.

The only problem I see is there is nowhere to grab anything to stabilize yourself if needed.

Anyone used anything like this before? Does this seem doable? Any suggestions to make it work?

Thanks

World Shoot X in England. I'm not sure what type of springs they used but they were about 12". The platform was huge and there were three or four ports that you had to shoot through so there was a wall that you could use to steady yourself. Start position was sitting in a chair I believe, so as the shooter stood up the platform movement started.

World Shoot X in England. I'm not sure what type of springs they used but they were about 12". The platform was huge and there were three or four ports that you had to shoot through so there was a wall that you could use to steady yourself. Start position was sitting in a chair I believe, so as the shooter stood up the platform movement started.

Brilliant idea!

I have been looking at the same idea. To make this work the platform will always have to float. If it does not a shooter only has to move to the front or rear of the platform to anchor it forward or backward. He can then sidestep across the platform to shoot the stage. I've been toying with the idea of welding up a support frame with uprights in the corners and middle. A sheet of 3/4" plywood will be suspended by chains that run under the plywood from the front upright supports to the rear supports. The plywood will always float and be able to move. The amount of float can be changed by the length of chain between the front and rear supports.

CYa,

Pat

I have been looking at the same idea. To make this work the platform will always have to float. If it does not a shooter only has to move to the front or rear of the platform to anchor it forward or backward. He can then sidestep across the platform to shoot the stage. I've been toying with the idea of welding up a support frame with uprights in the corners and middle. A sheet of 3/4" plywood will be suspended by chains that run under the plywood from the front upright supports to the rear supports. The plywood will always float and be able to move. The amount of float can be changed by the length of chain between the front and rear supports.

CYa,

Pat

Something like the floating platform at Parna, ID?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPkFilHsYr4#t=2m

CYa,

Pat

Something like the floating platform at Parna, ID?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPkFilHsYr4#t=2m

Yup. :cheers: Chains will be shorter so not as much sway. The platform will be smaller also. Welding the support platform tomorrow.

CYa,

Pat

we have done several things with bed springs, the ones that stand out were one stage you were 'mounted' atop a horse made out of a 55 gallon barrel that sat on top ofthe springs/plywood combo, the other was just a straight platform, that had a 2x4 borderto keep from falling off, tho us 'larger of frame' figured out if you ran to the farthest corner ofthe platform you could basically pin the springs down on that corner, and negate any movement