Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Traveling to Canada for the Canadian IPSC Nationals

I'm considering going up to Canada for the Canadian IPSC Nationals since it's not too long a drive up from Seattle up to Vancouver, BC. I'm trying to gather information and visualize what I need.

I already know that I have a bunch of forms to fill out way ahead of time so that I can bring my gun(s) into Canada and back home into the US.

I'm planning on shooting with my EAA/Tanfoglio Witness Match in 40.

Reading the IPSC rules, it looks like my gun will best fit into the Standard Division. Is there another division I should be looking at?

I'll need to take measurements to make sure that I fit into the IPSC box since, USPSA Limited and Limited 10 don't have a box requirement, and I've added a magwell to the gun.

I'll need to check my load to make sure I make major at 170 PF instead of 165 PF.

In USPSA Limited and L10, gear can be ahead of the hip bone, while it seems the same isn't true for Standard division. Fortunately for me, only one of my mag pouches is ahead of my hip bone. Can simply turn over and not use that magpouch but leave it attached to my belt? Or will match officials ask me to remove it completely?

I've already been adviced that the way to enter Canada with is with my magazines disassembled, since my mags are not pinned to stop at 10 rounds. Is this sound advice?

I'll need to start training myself to use a Barney mag to top off my gun, since as I understand things, it'll be illegal for me to have 11 rounds in a magazine even at the "Make Ready" command.

And then not gear related: Will my USPSA classification carry over, or do I need to figure out how to get classified in time before the match?

Edited by Skydiver

OK first off the best way to bring your firearm into Canada is to have a Temporary Authorization to Transport in hand when you hit the border. i believe that with this they will send you any other paper work that is needed. they will fax it to you. their email form sucks. the last time i tried email i only got one page. if you need the number PM me or email me at walter.hornby@gmail.com and i will get you the correct phone number to call.

Standard is the correct division for the Witness but beware that the gun with the mag inserted must fit into the box. 140 mm mags do not fit. i would suggest you build a wood box to make sure that everything fits. you may depress the back site for the gun to fit.

I would suggest you remove the mag pouch. i think if you took the screws out and just left the belt slide you would be fine. the reason being is that even upside down the pouch could still be used.

I would not trust the the disassemble mags would make it through. i know people who have had mags bodies seized when shipped to them and you are entering a leftist area of the country. what i would do is make blockers like the Arredondo's. or use a screw in the bottom of the follower set to allow ten only.

Barney mag is the best as this allows for no mistakes. no one will be checking your mags but if you fire 12 without a reload you will be DQed.

I would check with the match directors to see if they will use your USPSA classification. We normally use ICS in Canada.

I would not trust the the disassemble mags would make it through. i know people who have had mags bodies seized when shipped to them and you are entering a leftist area of the country. what i would do is make blockers like the Arredondo's. or use a screw in the bottom of the follower set to allow ten only.

Oh, something like Rob had shown in this thread: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=104685&view=findpost&p=1190843

what you could do,..is find some 10rd ,.40 mags really cheap if you can find them. I found a couple that were obviously from the days of the 10rd limit and use those.(good for L10). OR>......Rivet mags so they can not feed more than 10rds,.(or NO rounds) before you come into Canada. I get mags this way and then block them how I choose while in Canada. Ask Henning, as he has come to Canada before I believe with mags....?

DO NOT expect to get into Canada with dissasembled mags. I agree that is should be ok....as parts do not make a prohibited item,,..BUT,...Canada Customs does not see it that way. ie: if I was caught with a bunch of mag parts in Canada, it would not be illegal,..however once I assemble those parts to make a pistol mag that holds more than 10rds,...I have broken the law.

Edited by Mo Hepworth

Or, you could borrow a Canadian's mags...just bring some beer.

I'd love to be able to borrow mags, but I've go the Canyon Creek magwell on my gun, so the stock mag base pads don't fit anymore. I'm now using the Henning H-520's for L10.

Obviously, it'll have to be good Canadian beer and not the wimpy stuff here in the US. :-)

I'd love to be able to borrow mags, but I've go the Canyon Creek magwell on my gun, so the stock mag base pads don't fit anymore. I'm now using the Henning H-520's for L10.

Obviously, it'll have to be good Canadian beer and not the wimpy stuff here in the US. :-)

Haha, true.

Well, if you decide to go up for the Nats, you'll have a great time. A lot of awesome people there ;)

I have the Henning box legal mag pads. If I were going i would lend you mine. Not likely I am going