Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

GSSF

I went to the official website but I was curious from those that have shot them what they are like compared to USPSA. If there is another thread or this is in the wrong section of the forum I apologize.

I'm curious how the divisions work and how easy it is to find matches. Just something to supplement USPSA and the thought of winning a Glock is cool.

edit: I found this: http://www.gssfonline.com/hot_topics/GSSF%20Made%20Simple.pdf

This thread was helpful: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=104469&st=0&p=1188998&hl=gssf&fromsearch=1entry1188998

Still curious about how to find matches.... it doesn't seem like there are many of them.

Edited by OkieZombies

Scheduled matches can be found out on the GSSF website. There looks to be about 35 or 36 matches scheduled for the remainder of the year.

With that said, I am planning on attending my first GSSF match on May 1...really looking forward to it, as I have heard many good things.

GSSF is a corporate sponsored shooting event. It is structured to protect the "deep pockets" of a corporation from an attack by lawyers. Honestly it's a little pale compared to USPSA. That said though, come shoot anyway! It's a great place to get familiar with the basic format of a pistol match. It's family oriented. It's VERY safe. (No drawing, running or IPSC athletics) A bit tame compared to a full blast USPSA match or 3 gun but ya gotta start SOMEWHERE!! It's a bit intimidating the first few times you go to a match. Many of us that have been doing this for awhile forget how overwhelming it can be trying to sort everything out that's going through a beginners head in those first few matches. Glock sure makes up for the "tameness" by offering prizes and support. What other manufacturer will supply a factory trained armorer to overhaul your gun and magazines as part of your match fee?? I help put on Glock matches in Colorado and I have to tell you I love it when I see families, (Mom, Dad and the kids) come out to shoot!! I think they're a great way to ease people into the sport! Good On Ya Glock!

I used to shoot GSSF matches, for several years. They are quite enjoyable & I've won several guns. The first few years, I shot a g17 in unlimited, competition, then finally in am/civ. I used the first two catagories as "warmups" for the am/civ. I worked my way up from near the bottom when I started to winning 3 matches which moves you into "master". Although "master" has a nice ring to it, that puts you in the deep end of the pool with the sharks! hahaha. The nearest GSSF match got cancelled, & my traveling buddy moved away so I sort of drifted off & quit going to them.

I recommend you go intending to have fun & try something new. They are much easier to get started in than uspsa. Accuracy is more at a premium than uspsa, also.

www.glocktalk.com has a big GSSF forum, also. Lots of the guys that travel all over & shoot GSSF hang out on there.

MLM

I am pretty torn between driving to Lousiana for the next GSSF match or just trying a new USPSA venue that weekend.

New USPSA venue:

1. Closer/Cheaper

GSSF match:

1. I can haz prizes?

So just to be sure.... if I register for the match in Louisiana next weekend and drive 12 hours - I might get to win stuff? And I can shoot in like 6 different divisions (I guess I would take my G-17 for everything, and my G30SF for Major Sub)?

I'm guessing since there is no drawing, I can leave my CR Speed and holster at home?

And can I use my G17 if it has Warren sights and a trigger job?

Edited by OkieZombies

I was co-MD for our GSSF match back in march (nothern cali challenge II) I have been shooting the GSSF events off and on for 15 yrs its a great intro into the competitve sports if all you havedone is shoot on a public firing line, and Glock is very generous with their prizes, guns given away in every division, and cash as well, a new shooter i can recall shot her first GSSF match with us, she won hi-junior lady and got 75 bucks and THEN won another 50 bucks in a random participant draw

I call it no mess no fuss competition, no drawing from holsters, no movement, no mag changes, that being said it still is a lot of fun to do

I went to my first GSSF match in July after a friend that worked a the indoor range asked me if I was coming. Said there was a chance to win a Glock, so I figured, "What the heck." When I got there, there was a drawing for some small stuff and I found out that GSSF is pretty much a "bullseye" match. Stand and shoot 5 rounds at the center of the target at increasing distances from a low ready. No moving, no mag changes, just point and shoot.

Then I found out the Glock was won by random drawing, we had to attend 2 out of the 3 matches to be elegible, and the first match I attended was the 2nd of the 3.

So...Come 3rd match, I almost stayed home, but then decided I should go cuz I could possibly win the drawing. We shot and I won a division with a pretty standard Glock 22 with night sights and a 3lb Brownell's trigger in it ( I still don't know how, and I didn't bother to ask). Then I won the drawing for the Glock. It took like 12 weeks to get here and it was the wrong color, but what the heck...It was free and the correct caliber. It was actually pretty fun, and I will definatly go back to the local matches.

You were at an Indoor League match which is different than the regular matches on the schedule.

I went to my first GSSF match in July after a friend that worked a the indoor range asked me if I was coming. Said there was a chance to win a Glock, so I figured, "What the heck." When I got there, there was a drawing for some small stuff and I found out that GSSF is pretty much a "bullseye" match. Stand and shoot 5 rounds at the center of the target at increasing distances from a low ready. No moving, no mag changes, just point and shoot.

Then I found out the Glock was won by random drawing, we had to attend 2 out of the 3 matches to be elegible, and the first match I attended was the 2nd of the 3.

So...Come 3rd match, I almost stayed home, but then decided I should go cuz I could possibly win the drawing. We shot and I won a division with a pretty standard Glock 22 with night sights and a 3lb Brownell's trigger in it ( I still don't know how, and I didn't bother to ask). Then I won the drawing for the Glock. It took like 12 weeks to get here and it was the wrong color, but what the heck...It was free and the correct caliber. It was actually pretty fun, and I will definatly go back to the local matches.

So just to be sure.... if I register for the match in Louisiana next weekend and drive 12 hours - I might get to win stuff? And I can shoot in like 6 different divisions (I guess I would take my G-17 for everything, and my G30SF for Major Sub)?

I'm guessing since there is no drawing, I can leave my CR Speed and holster at home?

And can I use my G17 if it has Warren sights and a trigger job?

Yep, you can leave your holster at home. You can use a G17 in all categories except Major Sub and Subcompact, but you can use your 30 in Sub and Major Sub if you want.

The Warren sights on the 17 are perfectly legal, in fact all the GSSF Rangemasters use them as well. The trigger job, maybe, maybe not. GSSF rules say the guns have to be essentially stock and use only parts available from Glock on one model or another. For example if you're running a 17 with an extended mag release from a 34 or 21 you're good to go, or the 3.5 connector from the 34. If you're using a Ghost Rocket, Scherer, Glockworx etc. connector, or a Ti Striker, or Wolff Springs, you're going against the rules. I've never seen them check but you'll know you're breaking the rules. I de-tune my Glocks before I go to GSSF just to stay in compliance. It's not that difficult.

BTW, if you are a USPSA shooter, slow down. Even if you think you're going too slow, you're not. The universal mistake I see USPSA shooters make when going to these matches is shooting too fast. The "C" zone adds 1 second and the D adds 3 seconds. Couple C's and D's on a stage and your looking at more penalties than it took you to shoot the stage. You gain time in a GSSF Match on Transitions and getting the gun to the target quickly after the buzzer.

As far as GSSF or a USPSA match, I would pick the GSSF match. USPSA will be there next month, GSSF won't be back till next year.

• 1 month later...

The Warren sights on the 17 are perfectly legal, The trigger job, maybe, maybe not. GSSF rules say the guns have to be essentially stock and use only parts available from Glock on one model or another. or Wolff Springs, you're going against the rules. I've never seen them check but you'll know you're breaking the rules. I de-tune my Glocks before I go to GSSF just to stay in compliance. It's not that difficult.

My wife and I are planning to go to a local GSSF match. Both guns have Wolff striker springs and ISMI recoil springs. I guess we'll have to detune before the match?? :mellow: Everything else should be OK.