Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Who's Going to the Cup

Greg in VA

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I'm not having any problem or anxiety. I can make mine anything it needs to be. A lot of my friends that are going are having a problem though, and I suspect a lot of people I don't know are too. I guess misery loves company, the way a lot of open shooters are griping. Now you want me to get in the same group. :sight: I built a full house race gun but I'm shooting production for now, thank you.

I've got my Production and Metallic guns built now though. At least I can use them for other disciplines if I decide I'm not a fan of the NRA and AP. If I build an Open gun, it's specific to AP. I think I'll wait till after the Cup before I go for that little expense. I do have a couple of Base guns I could probably build up. But right now I'm not sure If I'll be shooting AP after May.

Chuck,

Don't let the NRA have anything to do with your decision to continue shooting AP. They are a little slow to come around sometimes but they eventually get it right.

I started with an Open gun and then shot Metallic. I found that this was easier as I had a good grip on the time limits and better trigger control. At the time, I had this idea to go shoot USPSA with a single stack open gun. I had the gun built but couldn't find a match. The gun didn't look anything like the ones I have now so it is possible to try Open without spending a bunch of money. Production and Metallic are fine. But I have more fun with Open.

Personally, I'm not having any problem or anxiety. I can make mine anything it needs to be. A lot of my friends that are going are having a problem though, and I suspect a lot of people I don't know are too. I guess misery loves company, the way a lot of open shooters are griping. Now you want me to get in the same group. :sight: I built a full house race gun but I'm shooting production for now, thank you.

Warren,

The anxiety avoidance wasn't anything with you. I think someone was questioning the "aftermarket and OEM" and the not a rule change only the for Cup, and not making changes weeks before the major match etc. Regarding your holster question. Last year it was legal, but to be sure you'll have to wait until Tuesday night! That is why open is less anxiety, because no barrel issues or lengths, any holster, wings and things, comps or not, revo, single action, double action.

In general,

As kevin said, it will get sorted out. The NRA has got to stop waiting until after the first of the year to get things solidified as far as equipment and procedure rules for the competitors. We all recognise that after BC, the NRA is swamped with Perry, then all the stat work after Perry takes them to winter. The committee make recommendation to the NRA Board which meets in January, I think, for approval. We often don't get the final approvals until February, then the Cup is May. This schedule is a recipe for annual anxiety for NRA staff and the competitors who don't know what to build or what to do, ESPECIALLY since you have to get your brand new PRODUCTION revolver modified so that it will meet the PRODUCTION rules as set by the NRA. Now a few weeks before the Cup it is OK to have an aftermarket barrel for your Production gun, but it is not Production legal for the remainder of the NRA AP shooting season. Whatever. Since this ruling, the numbers for attendance have seemed to jump.

See you all in a couple weeks. It'll be fun either way. Hey IDPA and USPSA have their surprise stages or scenarios, in NRA AP we have the surprise rules!

Cheers,

MJ

OK now I am freaked out. Are DOH allowed for Production?? I was going to use my USPSA rig. Do I have to change my stuff around again???

I sure hope so, based on other posts I thought it was. I will be ready to remove the "Drop" attachment if needbe though. Would be nice if we could get the Chief Referee to make one more clarification before we all show up in Columbia.

OK now I am freaked out. Are DOH allowed for Production?? I was going to use my USPSA rig. Do I have to change my stuff around again???

I sure hope so, based on other posts I thought it was. I will be ready to remove the "Drop" attachment if needbe though. Would be nice if we could get the Chief Referee to make one more clarification before we all show up in Columbia.

Clarification of Holsters for Production

Rule 3.2.1.i “Holsters must be designed for carry and suitable for everyday use.” Is as follows:

Production holsters must be designed for draw from the top only. Holsters must cover the slide up to ½” below the ejection port in semi-autos and halfway down the cylinder on revolvers. Holster must prevent access to, or activation of, the trigger of the handgun when holstered.

We passed on retention devices when the jump tests were eliminated and the drop gun rule was changed. However rule 3.12.1 should suffice. The above description should make holsters in production eligible for NRA Action Pistol, IDPA and USPSA.

We arrived in Columbia late Saturday and shot Sunday to blow out the dust and done a small amount everyday since in one form or another, or have been busily making ammo. The old 1050 has taken a hammering today.

If anyone needs primers powders and projectiles I suggest they get hold of Grafs pronto, they have some held aside for those coming for Bianchi. Primers are a real issue here right now, no Federals at all and limited (by their standards) Winchester.

Range is looking good. Obviously they are not fully ready, but all they need is a little time and it will be smoking. Practice range will be 100% operational with an extra 50y range over what they had last year. A man with Bobcat will be making modifications this week, as soon as it dries out some.

They have had some rain and it is a little soft underfoot, so care is needed, but forecast (if you trust them) is OK.

See you all soon.

We arrived in Columbia late Saturday ...

<squeals> Yay, you're here! I'm guessing the Pipers aren't far behind. I can't wait to see you all!!! Say hi to Cora for me.

Tracy

Tracy,

Cora says hi.

Karl and Co arrive tomorrow, they should be at the Extended Stay until we go to MI.

Cool. We'll be arriving at the Extended Stay late on the 21st. See you all soon!

Tracy

• 2 weeks later...