Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.223 Brass Life

PistolJim

Once lately. Been going to lost brass matches mostly :rolleyes:

But seriously folks, 4-5x is typical and 6-7 total firings wouldn't be unreasonable if it's good case stock to start with (WW or same headstamp LC). Trimming will usually be required each pass if you shoot for accuracy as in High Power Rifle, otherwise more than twice without trimming and the case necks are usually outta-whack enough to screw you, especially if you do any crimping. Case volume and case mouth tension are the most important case parameters as relates to accuracy.

--

Regards,

One of the guys at work uses Fed brass and we are up to 8 reloads for his Tikka Deluxe. We only neck size, that makes them last longer. If as I suspect you are using a semi-auto rifle, you may get a lot less. I honestly expect to go maybe 3 or 4 reloads more yet on these. I know a lot of full bore long range rifle shooters can get well past 20 reloads, but they spend more time looking after their brass.

I have a few guys I shoot with that will not reload any more than 4 times in the semi auto rifle, then they get more once fired from who ever is selling the right brand at the right price. It is just easier in the long run. Their brass is always fresh they only reload what they have shot, stay away from odd ball makers and keep a sharp eye out for pressure signs.

They full size and trim before firing it in their rifle then dispose at after 4th firing.

You will get better case life with a tight / match chamber and high quality dies.

Maybe my guns are rougher on brass than some, but , like gordon, most of the brass seems to be mangled at the head end long before the actual body becomes anywhere close to a safety issue. 3-4 times.

Travis F.

I have gone 5x with WW that I started new and shot in one AR exclusively at High Power pressure loadings. I stopped using it because the extractor groove was chewed up badly. I have taken a few pieces of LC 77 (no shjt, 77) out to 8x. The headstamp was still readable and the extractor groove was still OK enough to function, but I tossed it anyway because I didn't feel the need to take the test any further and risk a case/head separation.

gm-iprod is right, the less re-sizing, the longer they will go. In semi-autos though full length re-sizing is required, and the brass is just worked too much to get bolt action type life out of it. The more you set the shoulder back for headspace clearance, the more you will need to trim and the sooner the case will thin out from the stretch and a the sooner a head separation will happen. Bolt actions don't mind tight, or no headspace. Semi-auto's need proper headspace.

--

Regards,

I have found that the primer pocket is the thing that quites on .223. I load untill I don't feel much resistence seating a primer, and then turn it in to a recycler. Some brass lasts for a long time. IMI, and IVI seem to go about 10X as well as some LC. WW is way up there also but thier brass is way to pricey, so I ususally go with IMI.

A lot of the question on brass life is how hot the case is loaded, if it's a hot load, not many times, a milder load can double the life of the case. On rifle cases be sure to check the over all length (OAL) each time. :)