Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

GP6 in ssp

I was looking at the photos of the GP6 and saw lines carved into the front of the grip. I quess it is not considered checkering or stippling? Anyone know what division the GP6 fits into?

http://www.stiguns.com/guns/GP6-C/GP6-C.php

Factory checkering/stippling is fine in SSP.

The link says DA/SA action, with (ambi) thumb safety. So it could go SSP if the production numbers are high enough if it starts hammer down.

It looks like it could go ESP even if it's a low production gun, either DA/SA or cocked and locked (sti website wasn't clear if this was possible).

Edited by Steve Koski

http://www.stiguns.com/guns/GP6-C/GP6-C.php

Factory checkering/stippling is fine in SSP.

The link says DA/SA action, with (ambi) thumb safety. So it could go SSP if the production numbers are high enough if it starts hammer down.

It looks like it could go ESP even if it's a low production gun, either DA/SA or cocked and locked (sti website wasn't clear if this was possible).

Thanks, good info

either DA/SA or cocked and locked (sti website wasn't clear if this was possible).

It is. The fire control system on the GP6 follows the CZ-75 pattern in that it's a "selective double action" with the option of a hammer down DA first shot, or a cocked and locked SA first shot. No decocker though - just like the classic CZ-75 - so you have to manually lower the hammer if you're going to go DA first shot.

Robert Ray also shot one for a little while for a tactical journal article. Since the gun is essentially a Grand Power K100 with a different slide the Production #s are already high enough for SSP. The frames are even still marked as Grand Power.

My girlfriend also has one it shoots great but the slide lock is to sensitive for me.

Chad, Alan has been shooting a GP6 in matches, both local and sactioned in SSP. He should be at Coastal Bend and probably at Cove Saturday. Ask him to show it to you.

I was not sure if it met the production criteria as far as number of units sold/produced. He seems to like his. It must be pretty nice since he has shot it over using his eagle.

I think it's safe to say that it can't hold a candle to his Eagle, but Alan likes to shoot a wide range of stuff. It's just another black plastic import with its own shortcomings, not the least of which is having to lower the hammer manually.

• 1 month later...

It's a pretty kickass gun for SSP. The factory trigger is damn good, reset is 1911-style short, and the factory recoil spring feels like you're racking a 10-lb spring in a 1911. It's light.

But yes, you do have to manually drop the hammer for SSP use.