Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bolen Springs w/ Dawson SNL Basepads

STIGUY

Just received some Bolen springs to expand count of Mag for my STI. I am having difficulty in getting the basepads to seat so that I can push the latch close on the SNL basepads. When I just push the spring in (11 coil) it barely fits in due the the last coil being oversized. Other than sending them off to a "tuner"....what is the solution?

THANKS!!!!!

There is a recess in the bottom of the SNL pads...if you seat the bolen spring into that recess, the basepad will go fully onto the tube and you can close the latching mechanism. May have to use needlenose to get the spring fully into the recess.

Pushing the spring into the recess is what I did also. Should we have cut the coil or are the springs set up to use as is? STIGUY, watch putting too many in, the follower will get below the crease on the side of the mag and become a salt shaker. I think one of the things Tuners do is increase the length of the crease so this cannot happen.

• 2 weeks later...

I have read on another post that the last coil is oversized and therefore important in stacking the coils. That is all the coils above these ultimately stack above and in the bottom coil. I am not sure I want to do that? I was thinking of dremeling out the recess so that the spring seats in tha area. I have tried to wiggle and force the spring to seat and I can not make that work. Btw....I had previously ordered Bolen pads but could not get them to go on my tubes. The two SNL pads came with

the gun when I bought it here. If I knew this was going to be that much trouble, I would have scrimped and saved for already tuned and higher capacity mags?

Sometimes the "already tuned mags" come from the tuners with the spring & follower separate, so that doesn't always fix your problems, but getting the basepads shouldnt be that hard.

Have you tried to put the basepads on WITHOUT the spring installed? If it fits without the spring, then you just need to figure out which wiggle or little trick is needed to get the spring to fit in the basepad. If it still doesnt go on without the spring, then you have to file on your mag tube a little to ease the basepad on correctly.