Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Using one set of Dies (or other parts) for more than one Round

Note: I did try search, but I either couldn't find the answer I was looking for, OR simply didn't recognize it when I did find it.

OK, let me see if I can ask this in a way that makes sense.

The lump sum of money I have been waiting on is arriving on either the 16th or the 30th, so I am pretty close to ordering. I would LIKE to order in as smart a manner as possible.

I'm going to be starting off reloading with these rounds:

.308 ------------------- .308 bullet

.44 Magnum ------------ .430 bullet

.45 ACP ---------------- .451 bullet

.45-70 ----------------- .458 bullet

I will eventually add at LEAST these rounds (And may possibly buy them up front, even if I do not yet own the weapons that fire them):

.223 ------------------- .224 bullet

.30-06 ----------------- .308 bullet

.380 Auto -------------- .355 bullet

.9mm ------------------ .355 bullet

.38 Special ------------- .357 bullet

.357 Mag --------------- .357 bullet

.30-06 ----------------- .308 bullet

.44 Special ------------- .430 bullet

.45 LC ----------------- .452 bullet

Now, the first thing that struck me was; "Wouldn't I reload the .44Spl and the .44Mag with the same Dies, etc.?" Ditto for the .38Spl & .357Mag.

And if THAT'S true, why not the 9mm and the .380? Why wouldn't THEY use the same tools as well I mean...

That's when my thinking began to veer into what even I, in my fairly ignorant state, recognize as dangerous territory. Specifically, I noticed that LOTS of rounds used a .308 bullet. Lot's of others use a .224

And the .45 in ACP and LC use bullets that are only .001" different in thickness.

Not to mention how much cross reference there is among, what do you call them... case holders? The "U" shaped part that the back end of the case gets slid into to hold it in place during it's trip around the tool head?

Now of course, the pistol rounds I mentioned have flat side wall cases while except for the .45-70, the rifle rounds have cases with shoulders.

I imagine that this is quite important when it comes to using one set of dies for more than one round.

What this all comes down to is this...

Is there a way that I can determine what parts will work for more than one round (and of course, which rounds they will work for), and which parts will NOT work on more than one round?

Or is this something that I have to work out in excruciating detail by looking at parts lists with a magnifying glass... :blink:

All USEFUL advice appreciated...:cheers:

All wisecracks tolerated in good humor. :P

If you are ordering a Dillon from Brian just call or email him and give him your list and he will tell you exactly what you need. :cheers:

If not then you'll have to do some cross referencing or wait here for folks to start answering.

As to the few specific questions you asked

44's both same

38/357 same

9/380 NOT SAME

Other than that I am not familiar with loading all you mentioned.

45 ACP, 308 Win, and 30-06 use the same shell-plate and shell holder buttons. As Sarge said the 44's and the 38/357 are the same dies but for pretty much every thing else there are differences. It is not just bullet diameter it is also case diameter and length and in the case of the rifle rounds the length of the neck along with the angle and shape of the shoulder.

Brian

Not to mention how much cross reference there is among, what do you call them... case holders (Shell Plate)? The "U" shaped part that the back end of the case gets slid into to hold it in place during it's trip around the tool head?

Brian has a cross reference section on his website. Here's the link....

http://www.brianenos.com/pages/dillon/cal.conv.chart.html

Sarge -

I'm already working with him, but he's busy and can't talk to me at the drop of a dime every time I get a goofy idea in my head. And if you were inside my head, you'd know that goofy comes up a LOT. ;)

Thanks for that other info too, btw.

Too_Slow -

Yeah, I figured the shoulders on rifle bullets would be a fly in the ointment, but thanks for confirming.

Grumpy -

Any relation to Jenkins?;)

Thanks for the link. That's helpful for some of the questions.

I mostly de-cap rifle cartridges on a universal de-capping die and have taken the decaping pin out of my dies. I decap from the range then clean the cases before loading. I use a separate Lyman 'M" die to set the case neck from the inside. The "m's" neck sizer is cut specifically for one particular bullet and desired neck pull and have several for different bullet sizes. Other guys I know use the same routine and dedicated neck die that sizes from the outside of the case. The M or outside neck sizer dies are not case specific. Using those methods and if full length sizing is not required can load on the same dies 45/70 45/90 45/110 or 30/30 .308 .30 Government 30/1906, all this if you don't full length size. Sometimes you need to full length size and have a full die set in all my rifle calibers even though the sizer does not get much use.

Easier answer is progressives are great for long runs of pistol calibers. No better way to load 9 mm or 45 acp. For switching calibers in rifle loads particularly if short runs of cartridges Turret press works best. I run two Lyman's side by side. One is a 6 hole Turret other is single hole and mostly kept set up with the decapping die. I make runs of 200 9mm or 45acp on the Turret starting with clean brass. I think 200 rounds is the limit of there usefullness for high volume loading, anything more go progressive

Boats

Sarge -

I'm already working with him, but he's busy and can't talk to me at the drop of a dime every time I get a goofy idea in my head. And if you were inside my head, you'd know that goofy comes up a LOT. ;)

Thanks for that other info too, btw.

Too_Slow -

Yeah, I figured the shoulders on rifle bullets would be a fly in the ointment, but thanks for confirming.

Grumpy -

Any relation to Jenkins?;)

Thanks for the link. That's helpful for some of the questions.

No relation, cause I don't know any Jenkins! :lol:

Boats -

Thank you. You've basically confirmed my suspicion that this is an "It Depends" situation that will sometimes allow cross-use and sometimes won't.

I have been considering using a separate decapper anyway, given the large amount of military brass that I have, although I am reserving opinions until I actually have everything up and running and have learned enough to start getting creative.

Grumpy -

Jenkins, or more precisely "Grumpy Jenkins" is a famous drag racer from back east, although I guess that a lot of time has gone by and he's probably not all that well known anymore. I used to see him in the pits at Englishtown years ago, when I still raced. (They still ran the Summernats there for instance)

If you keep your eyes open on Ebay or at Gun Shows old heavy cast iron presses are not real expensive. Extra press or two set up for dedicated jobs is a handy thing. I keep three set up. Single Stage & Turret Lyman and a 3rd Lyman Tru Line JR Turret that's been modified to accept 7/8 inch dies. It's used for bullet seating only. Also use 4 different powder measures each optimal for one type of powder. None of my outfit except the Harrells measure was real expensive just bought when it became avalable at the right price. Lynwood Harrells measure is worth it's high price.

Heavy is best when it comes to pressing.

Boats