Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Resizing die help

So I got a brand new Dillon RL 550 last night and got her set up and running. After about 100-150 rounds I noticed that the resizing die started to NOT eject the spent primers from the cases. I figured 'no big deal Ill just run the pin down a little more and that should fix it'. WRONG! I stroked the lever pushed it all the way in to seat a new primer and POW!!! Primer detonated in the press due to the pressure of pushing against a, you guessed it, SPENT PRIMER. So my question is, even with the pin run all the way down as far as the case will let it go, why arent the spent primers leaving the cases? Please help. I have a match on Sat and still need to load up a bunch of ammo before that time comes.

Equipment:

Dillon RL 550

RCBS Carbide .40/10mm die set

Powder- Winchester WST 5 grains per load

Primers- Winchester small pistol

PS. Ive used the same dies in my RCBS single stage press with no issues at all. The only variable in this equasion that has changed is the new press and Im really hoping thats not the problem.

The press isn't the problem. Take the decapping pin out of the die and round over the edges so the tip is not square, no sharp edges. What is happening is the primer anvil is forming around the decapping pin as it is being pushed out then the primer is being pulled back up and into the primer pocket as the cartridge is pulled out of the sizing die. Rounding over and polishing the end of the pin should end your problem. :cheers:

CYa,

Pat

So I got a brand new Dillon RL 550 last night and got her set up and running. After about 100-150 rounds I noticed that the resizing die started to NOT eject the spent primers from the cases. I figured 'no big deal Ill just run the pin down a little more and that should fix it'. WRONG! I stroked the lever pushed it all the way in to seat a new primer and POW!!! Primer detonated in the press due to the pressure of pushing against a, you guessed it, SPENT PRIMER. So my question is, even with the pin run all the way down as far as the case will let it go, why arent the spent primers leaving the cases? Please help. I have a match on Sat and still need to load up a bunch of ammo before that time comes.

Equipment:

Dillon RL 550

RCBS Carbide .40/10mm die set

Powder- Winchester WST 5 grains per load

Primers- Winchester small pistol

PS. Ive used the same dies in my RCBS single stage press with no issues at all. The only variable in this equasion that has changed is the new press and Im really hoping thats not the problem.

Pin tends to get stuck in anvil of old primer and pulls primer back into case. Bend pin ever so slightly and it will eject primer.

You know, it never ceases to amaze me how simple the solution can be sometimes. When I read your post it made perfect sense. Basically you're saying that the primer is 'hanging on' to the pin then halfway seating itself back in the primer pocket just enough to not come out of the case. Thanks for the advice Ill give it a try soon as I get home.

On a completely unrelated not how long before your hearing gets back to normal? :rolleyes:

Hearing comes back quicker than eyesight. Always wear safety glasses when reloading as detonations can occur as you learned. You can also try beveling the tip of the pin a little as well. Seems to happen most with soft primers also. In my experience federals are the worst(silver). Over time you can sort of feel them sticking to the pin but not always.

Hearing comes back quicker than eyesight. Always wear safety glasses when reloading as detonations can occur as you learned. You can also try beveling the tip of the pin a little as well. Seems to happen most with soft primers also. In my experience federals are the worst(silver). Over time you can sort of feel them sticking to the pin but not always.

Good advice. I wear glasses anyway due to my eyesight, but I think now Ill start wearing my ballistic eyewear that I got for my deployment. I usually use those anyways when I shoot. Hell, I may go home during lunch and pull the pin out of the die and bring it and a file with me to work so I dont have to do it after I get off (more time for reloading).

Good advice. I wear glasses anyway due to my eyesight, but I think now Ill start wearing my ballistic eyewear that I got for my deployment. I usually use those anyways when I shoot. Hell, I may go home during lunch and pull the pin out of the die and bring it and a file with me to work so I dont have to do it after I get off (more time for reloading).

I've never had that happen to me, but I always wear glasses and ear plugs, just in case. You wouldn't be reloading military brass with a crimp would you? I just don't see how the primer could get pulled back into the case if the pin is pushing the primer completely out of the pocket. Not saying it can't happen, but just seems like it would be incredibly difficult.

I've never had that happen to me, but I always wear glasses and ear plugs, just in case. You wouldn't be reloading military brass with a crimp would you? I just don't see how the primer could get pulled back into the case if the pin is pushing the primer completely out of the pocket. Not saying it can't happen, but just seems like it would be incredibly difficult.

Scap, it happens all the time dude. The pin pushes through the primer impaling it to the pin then on the upstroke it pulls it right back in the pocket. Hence, soft primers or primers that were pierced by the firing pin when shot. etc. There is extensive discussion around here someplace on the causes and cures.

I've had spent primers stick to the decapping pin and the any of the above suggestions should work.

Once you get that problem addressed and get in a rhythm, if you pay attention you will notice if you don't hear the spent primer hits the catch cup. You will notice if the feel of the new primer seating and know if it is too easy or too difficult. There will be four things going on at once, but if you pay attention each time you raise and lower the ram most problems will be noticed at once.

Good luck!

You know, it never ceases to amaze me how simple the solution can be sometimes. When I read your post it made perfect sense. Basically you're saying that the primer is 'hanging on' to the pin then halfway seating itself back in the primer pocket just enough to not come out of the case. Thanks for the advice Ill give it a try soon as I get home.

On a completely unrelated not how long before your hearing gets back to normal? :rolleyes:

Hearing? I think I would be asking how to get the stain out!!! :surprise:

Hearing? I think I would be asking how to get the stain out!!! :surprise:

Stain? It wasn't a scarey thing. Just loud as all hell. It did dawn on me today though that this event happened very close to a near full powder measure which still kind of gives me the willies to think about.

Scap, it happens all the time dude. The pin pushes through the primer impaling it to the pin then on the upstroke it pulls it right back in the pocket. Hence, soft primers or primers that were pierced by the firing pin when shot. etc. There is extensive discussion around here someplace on the causes and cures.

I believe you; I just have never had it happen to me. I've probably loaded 5 or 6 thousand rounds, which is just a drop in the hat for some of you guys, so I will chalk it up to luck and inexperience. Of course, now that I know it can/will happen, I fully expect it to happen next time I reload.

:wacko:

One other safety tip, always put the top back on the powder measure, even if your working up a load. Takes only a second and once your used to doing it every time it's second nature.

I've only had a couple of primers go off on my 550 but it gets your attention real quick.

Great advice on the cure. Wear the glasses, learn the feel and if the wife or someone drops in stop loading till the conversation is over.

Alright guys, I did the filing the pin trick and it worked! Now I have pleanty of ammo for my first match tomorrow. Thanks for all the advice and replies. This site is truly amazing when you need some shooting related help with issues. Again, thanks to everyone for the help.

-Mike