Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Comp

skeeter

i'm working on my open glock this winter and i've decided to put an 5 or 6 inch barrel on my 17 slide. i plan on using 135 or 147 gr bullets so i'm only look at a 3 port comp. the real question is how much weight can you add to the end of a glock barrel and still get things to work? you see because the barrel will be a bit longer then the slide i'll have a gap. so i thought about using the comp to fill in the area between the slide and where the ports are. this would add quit a lot of weight to the front of the barrel.

skeeter,

Aluminum will work in the shorrt time as matt said the baffell erosion will make the comp less effective in time. look to 7525hardeened if posible.

I would look at grade 5 titanium as it is relitively cheap as titanium goes

and will hold up much longer. Ti is about 1/3 less weight than steel where as aluminium is about 1/2 less.

You could look at aluminum as a test material to see if the comp is what you want before you spend the dolars on a piece of ti.Titanium sells for about 165 plus ship for a 1 foot length. aluminum of simalar demensions can often be had for dollars on the pound at a metal supply or even free if you know a machine shop owner and can get some drops. It has its merits.

I have even been contemplating an aluminum/ hard cromed comp .The best of both worlds if the crome will stick to aluminum.

Good luck with your blaster.

Johnnie

i'd never thought about titanium. not sure how hard it is to work with. do you need different tools? i guess i shouls say that a friend of mine has a milling machine aand we intend to do the work or selves. hes made a few comps for 1911's and a sub gun but never a glock.

Skeeter,

I my self have not worked on titanium yet. although I understand that

it tends to be gummy like stainless and usualy people use carbide tools .

I would think that you would turn the tool slow and feed fast .I have been asking questions of people who work with Titanium and that is what they tell me .

If you want a comp made to your specs give Brian H a shout . He has done some nice work for me in the past. He also has said he would make a titanium comp very reasonably.

I would also concider waiting just a little while on your open project. I have it under very good athority that a new hybride /comp barrel will be out very soon.

In my open guning with glocks I have found that Hybride steups to be very effective with the right (slow) powders.

Johnnie

Johnnie

Thanks for the heads-up regarding a new comp & barrel. And about sheering lugs and so on. I'll wait another month or 2.

I'm real close to trying an Open top end. The Glock grip angle is such an improvement for my point problem that everything else is secondary.

Other - recent - factors that make this look appealing are:

The Docter 3rd generation is getting thumbs-up from many shooters.

9mm Major (shorter than 1.280) is legal and brass is cheap as dirt.

No one seems to pick up brass any more at 3 out of 4 clubs I've shot at recently. Super brass is still $80+ per thousand. :blink:

caspian28,

The grip angle for me was a natural decision. I found that point shooting up close is much more natural.I find the dot easily with the glock although I must admite that there was a period of adjustment when I switched to Glock. I also find that the guns weight is considerable less than a similar

steel/ polemer gun.

The one thing that you must take into consideration when building an open Glock is slide weight. I personaly like to leave as much weight in the slide as posible. where as the barrel/comp needs to be as light as posible. This alows the barrel/slide to come out of battery at the same speed and avoids nasty locking lug problems .Not to mention sticky cases on major loads. One thing you will want to do is use the flat exstractor they can be set up with more tension than the new stile ones. I make my own plug for the exstractor that gives me around 8/9 pounds of tension( dont try this on your 1911) after comming up with this mod I had no issues with sticky cases.

Ther are a lot of tricks that will crop up but its a new field for a lot of people.

and its fun doing something new. best of luck with your project.

Johnnie

skeeter,

Just came in from the mill I made a comp out of 7075 aluminium

and I cant wait to try it out. I left all the suspect areas thick and the comp

weighs in at 2.4 oz respectively.With this type of savings my open gun (all the pieces) weighin at 31.4 ozs my last steel cone comp weighs a healthy 7 ozs

4 ozs dont sound like much but thats a 1/4 pounder .I hope it will hold up for a while .but if it dont got lots of aluminum out in the shop.

By the way I picked up the stock at a local metal supply out of there Drop room I paid 3.00 per pound. ended up eith 2 feet of 1" square stock for 20.00

Lots of luck with your project.

Johnnie

• 2 weeks later...

In building an Open Glock, since the inertia issues are different than with a 1911, should one go with a short slide (Glock17) or a long slide (Glock 34)? Does anyone make a barrel that is ported similiar to a Glock 24L ported barrel (oblong holes) along with a thread at the end for a comp, that will fit a 34?

Thanks;

Roy

• 4 weeks later...

GREAT NEWS! Stolen comp/KKM barrel recovered! Brian H. is a master machinist and a true craftsman; the work is beautiful and you can see a picture of my new upper on his website.

I received exactly what I ordered; a 4 port Ti comp on a supported KKM barrel built to John's (Mad Scientist) specs. The concept behind the comp design is also John's. In addition to the amazing custom comp, Brian used a process called "EDM" or electrodischarge machining to create 3 small hybrid ports. This process removes metal through spark-erosion and creates hybrid holes without leaving the accuracy-destroying burrs typically caused by drilling.

Brian also milled a slot for the ports in the Glock slide I sent him (though Lord knows how much tooling was destroyed getting through the Tennifer coating!) and to top it off, he custom fabricated a guide rod! The KKM barrel is short chambered & I will do the chambering (likely this weekend) so I should be able to post a report next week.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Brian Hawley just finished making me that four port titanium comp with two side slots on each side he is talking about. Brian is a Master at making comps the three port he made belongs to my friend. Brian's comp shoots flatter then my .40cal KKM comp, he does great work and the turn around time was only two weeks, thanks Brian.

DVC,

Mell